Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Anticipation

(Photo: ABC)

Parts of Florida are waiting for a hurricane.

Idalia -- with a potential to reach category 3 status -- is expected to hit overnight.

To reporters at the Weather Channel and others, this is a Super Bowl for them. That might seem crass but there's truth to it. Nobody is necessarily excited, given the destruction and possible loss of life involved, but when you work in any form of journalism, the big stories matter a lot.

We -- from sports to weather to news and beyond -- want to be accurate and honorable in our reporting. 

So whether it's a presidential election, national tragedy, war, weather catastrophe, or huge sports game, it's something we as reporters will never forget.

Would I dash into a hurricane to report? Yeah, I think I probably would, as I did to be in the studio for Superstorm Sandy.

As of this writing -- just after 5 p.m. -- Florida now is waiting. The shelves are likely clear of any supplies that residents need if they're sheltering in place. The roads appear passable as of now via Google for those who want to get out of town but the clock is ticking away to do that.

I've been in touch with loved ones who have any interest in the path of the storm. Indeed, it appears Idalia will head up through Florida into Georgia, South Carolina, and into. -- you guessed -- North Carolina, where our family is. The storm will turn and head toward the Atlantic from there.

It's no joke and being prepared is key.

I'll do what I always do. I'll continue to monitor local radio and TV along with the Weather Channel. I get very interested in the coverage of these storms and am hoping everyone is safe when it is all over.

For those staying, I can't help but wonder about the decision. I hardly have any business judging as I don't know what the circumstances are but, yeah, I do wonder.

After it's over, so much of it is in the hands of the government and insurance companies to facilitate recovery for those impacted.

We mostly count our blessings here. We've had our storms -- no doubt -- but fortunately nothing like this. I remember a fair share of hurricane threats and certainly have stories of power outages and some cleanup after the storm was over. But our cleanup with of branches and lawn furniture that might have gotten blown around.

Where I've lived has had minor earthquakes, heavy rain, tropical storms, blizzards, and rare tornadoes. Rarely has it headed into situations where the National Guard was needed. I've long felt fortunate in that regard.

I'm hoping everyone in Florida is fortunate as this storm approaches.

Sadly, only time will tell.

No comments: