Monday, July 19, 2021

I'm a bad influence!

 

At Segra Stadium, Fayetteville

I had a video sent to me tonight.

"Thought you would appreciate this," came the attached message.

A little kid is playing catch. He's describing things as he plays.

"Who are you pretending to be?" an adult voice asks.

"Robbie," comes the reply.

Yes. He's pretending to be me.

What a fun, remarkable thing.

And I'm so sorry!

Look, I get it. It is a fun thing and, to many, it appears to be one of the great jobs.

It's certainly been a blessing to me but it also comes to be with politics and backstabbing and some other negative stuff.

I heard a story today of how someone is trying to undermine me (again).

Sadly, they've also built a reputation and the people involved called me immediately to discuss.

It's not the first time it's happened either.

Remember, be careful what bridge you burn and how you build relationships.

That's where word gets passed around as it's a very small community and an even smaller world.

To that end, I reached out to the voice of the Fayetteville Woodpeckers today just to say hello. Andrew Chapman and I follow each other on Twitter, like many fellow broadcasters, but we've never actually met. 

Andrew couldn't have been more receptive to my message and we wound up meeting for a few minutes outside of Segra Stadium today. 

These relationships in the world of play-by-play broadcasting are so important for myriad reasons and Andrew was happy to chat with the Adams boys. 

Andrew offered to welcome us (and the family) back for tomorrow night's game between the Woodpeckers and Kannapolis Cannon Ballers 

I look forward to doing so, as a way of wrapping up our visit to North Carolina.

No comments: