Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Back on the microphone

 

One more delicious Waffle House breakfast awaits before we're back in NY

Greetings again from North Carolina.

It can be quiet here at times. Three of the four people in this room have headphones on. The animals are asleep. I'm typing.

Sean and I are driving home tomorrow.

When dawn breaks on Thursday we'll dive right back in.

I have a podcast to record and (perhaps) the only edition of "Doubleheader" on Thursday.

Then comes Babe Ruth Baseball on Friday.

With the Renegades away, I fill the time with various things, such as other game broadcasts, travel, and video depos.

In this case, it's the Babe Ruth 13-15 New England Regional at Trumbull High School. 

It will be at least my fifth regional championship that I've been involved in, to go along with the 2002 World Series call in Stamford.

In this case, it's 17 games over six days, with four games each on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

They are exhausting experiences with (sometimes) bad sightlines (Norwalk, 2018), excessive heat (Stamford, 2019), involved parents, and sore throats (all).

They're also incredibly fun with families often becoming friends.

As of now, I'll be alone for most of it, but the offer stands to have others join me. The Trumbull Eagles Network (TEN), anchored by Jeff Alterman, is supposed to be stepping in to say hello for part of it and even co-producing some. I'm hoping Jake Zimmer, Paul Silverfarb, and Shawn Sailer will also jump on board for some of the fun. Can a Dan Gardella sighting be too far behind? Or Kato?

NOTE: To that end, there is one game that I almost certainly can't do. That game is the tournament semifinal on Tuesday at 1p.m. The Renegades are back that night and I can't risk not being able to get from Trumbull to Dutchess Stadium in time for my duties there. I'll put Robcasting in your hands for that game. Inquire within.

Of course, weather can screw the whole thing up.

It's a huge labor of love for all parties involved and there are a lot of moving parts that make it all work.

At the same time, there will also be Little League Baseball down in Springdale and my friends there, led by Perry Pierce and Chris Kaelin (the aforementioned Kato), have expressed interest in having the Robcasting microphones around. Of course, there's the balance with the Renegades that creates havoc for me.

I appreciate everyone being so kind to what we try to do. We show up. We talk. We report. We try to entertain a little. We mostly try to stay out of the way.

Oh, and let me say it again: I'd love to have company for these Babe Ruth games and to actually hand the keys over for that game on Tuesday at 1pm. I'll start the computer. You call the game. You end the broadcast and (hopefully) leave the equipment set up right there. Easy peasy.

Please inquire within.

No comments: