Sunday, July 11, 2021

Halftime

 


We've hit the midway point.

Technically, the Renegades have played 59 games but they've played 30 at home.

Thus, we're halfway through the season. They'll play the 60th game on Tuesday in Wilmington, DE.

Sure, I have thoughts. I have thoughts about some things that could be better and other notes. I have critiques of myself for sure. Mostly, they're nitpicks.

It has been a blast.  I'll tell you that.

And, most nights, I hate to leave the stadium. When I do leave quickly, it's mostly due to Sean, who doesn't have the attachment that I do. Nor should he. So he gets me to leave.

But 30 games in I've made friends and have built whatever my reputation is. I've created fans and critics. I've had good calls and bad calls.

I've made mistakes for sure.

I've felt spoiled at times with walkoff hits and a no-hitter*.

* Why do people feel the need to say that a minor league no-hitter is "unofficial?" I saw that in a few places on social media today. For one thing, we know it is but that's not going to change how we view it in the stadium. Just relax and enjoy life. For a second thing, seven innings is the game length. It can't go nine even if we wanted to. Sooooo...

Now comes a two-week break while the Gades head to Wilmington and Aberdeen. As a broadcaster, I find it hard to have to break the rhythm while they play elsewhere. Sure, I'll watch and listen where and when I can but it's entirely different.

I'll do some traveling and call some Babe Ruth ball during the layoff before diving right back in later in July.

As the second half begins, the won/loss record will become a bigger deal. Will there be a championship series to broadcast? 

We'll find out.

No comments: