Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Unintentionally thoughtless

 

They sit, awaiting their next assignment

As you probably know, I took on the role of an admin for the play-by-play group on Facebook a few months ago.

I did it for the reasons that I teach: that I want to help facilitate when it comes to this industry.

Mike Hirn was the one who actually got me added as an admin, and when another person chose to depart, Mike and I both lobbied for Shawn Sailer to become one. 

I knew we had some things to clean up when I first jumped in and we went through some growing pains over the summer. There was drama -- both publicly and privately. The private drama has cleaned itself up (damn Sailer and his ego...I kid, I kid) and publicly, we're doing OK. Much better, in fact.

But not perfect. We occasionally have to deal with talk show posts (against the rules) and an occasional issue with crossing the line of good...er...behavior, shall we say.

One thing that struck me from before I became an admin was that there were people who would post about their upcoming broadcasts. I mean, fine, but I don't really think a single member cares about my broadcasts, and I'd think that if I was calling the Super Bowl.

More than that, that's all they posted. Their games. Podcasts. Talk shows. All things that I could also promote, but don't (including a blog that does, indeed, write about play-by-play).

If I want people to care about what I'm doing, it goes on my personal and Robcasting accounts. Or on WGCH or The Clubhouse or the other accounts I'm connected to. 

It's not like these self-promotional posts are lobbed up for critiques either. They're literally just there as if a member sitting in Walla Walla cares about a boys soccer game in Ashtabula.

Don't get me wrong. If Mike wants me to hear something, he posts it on his account or he messages me privately. 

But, as I've often said, I generally don't listen to many other broadcasts (other than Mike) because I'm too critical. I'm always going to have that teacher's edge in me, believing they can be better. I'm also always going to have that critical ear as to what a broadcast should look like and sound like.

As the pandemic hit, I found these posts to be somewhat self-indulgent. Sure, I'm glad you're working, but do you realize a sizable chunk of broadcasters aren't working?

Most of the northeast, especially for high school and prep school sports, remains dark. I did -- what? -- three events this fall? I'm not that confident that things will improve anytime soon, despite whatever "sources" tell you.

The health departments in New York and Connecticut, in conjunction with the athletic associations and governors, seem fairly hellbent on no athletics until spring. They might tell you otherwise but read the room, folks. Now, that doesn't mean it won't change, but you can understand being realistic.

And yet, the posts continue in the group. "HEY! Come join me and Jim-Bob-Fred-George Ringo for Perpetual Brotherhood of the Lost Hiccup football as they host Gargantuan Academy! All of the action begins with the Piggly Wiggly Pregame Show on KBLA!"

(KBLA, I discovered, is a real station in Los Angeles. Its owned by the person who helmed WREF in Ridgefield when they ran that into the ground back in the mid-90s, for what its worth. I just wanted to use KBLA because it sounded like "Blah.")

Or the wobbly iPhone camera feed from "Krazy Karl's Konvenience Kourtside Booth! Krazy Karl's, where your korn is always popping! At one-five-two-two Pine Street in Hickory Grove!"

I digress.

So I had to politely remind my brethren that there are a lot of us (sadly, me included) who aren't working in the industry (non-"Doubleheader" category, of course). 

I'm not saying the promotional posts need to stop (we tried that approach). I'm saying to maybe think and not post every broadcast.

Will there be a winter game for me to call? I'm basically willing to beg for a hockey and/or basketball game at this point.

I need my fix.

My phone lights up with daily memories of Mahopac and Carmel and Greenwich and Brunswick and Darien and New Canaan and more winter games. But no prospects are on the horizon.

So, instead, I keep doing the shows and podcasts and providing voicers (liners) for other broadcasts and teaching when I can.

I talked about these posts privately with another member today, and his take was the right one. These people don't mean to be shoving it in the faces of others.

They're just not thinking.

Indeed it's true.

So, hey, I'm around if anyone, you know, wants a broadcast*.

*When available, of course.

No comments: