Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Presser


I watched the Yankees/Renegades press conference with great interest today.

The Gades' show was all virtual, carried via Facebook Live. Vice President Rick Zolzer was joined by longtime Yankees' reporter Sweeny Murti to host the event, with help with team President/General Manager Steve Gliner.

The Gades were joined by members of the Yankees family as well as the Goldklang Group, who own the team.

Joe Torre made an appearance! Bernie Williams spoke and played "Take Me Out to the Ballgame!" Nick Swisher! Brian Cashman! Bucky...freaking...Dent!

I watched it! All of it!

I watched and listened to the questions from the media.

Still, there was a surprise.

The team name will remain "Renegades" but the uniforms will change.

I was not expecting that.

Michael Kay made an appearance to make that announcement. Kay could have said, "SEE YA!" to the old unis, but didn't.

Pinstripes and a glorious interlocking HV!

Which I get to describe at least 65 times next year (and, if I have it may way, more).

As for the new unis, I found myself thinking one thing: Here's my credit card! I don't care if I work for the team, just give me more! Take my money!

Interlocking HV? Interlocking NY? Pinstripes? Bring it on! 

Again, as we spoke last night, we await the schedules and more details. I keep thinking that we won't see the first pitch before May due to COVID-19, though I kept hearing April throughout the press conference.

Whatever the case, I get more anxious every day.

I feel for the Mets and Red Sox and other fans who aren't happy with this change. The very nature of minor league baseball isn't always about the affiliation. It's about the fun of the ballpark and watching these remarkable young athletes as they take their important steps towards fulfilling their dreams of playing in MLB.

*****

I've not spoken much about my dad lately, as I've really sort of beaten myself to "get over it" 30 years after his passing. But, forgive me for a few words as I remember him on his 91st birthday.

Ninety-one. I can't even imagine. I see him as he was at 59.

I would have loved to see him still be with us, obviously. He missed out on a lot, from all of my sisters kids, to my own Sean, as well as each of the great grandchildren that have enriched our world. 

Plus, I miss his counsel. I would have loved to know what he had to say to a lot of stuff.

Literally, everything that has happened over 30-plus years.

Some of it would have thrilled him.

Some? No. No. No. I can't make that clear enough. No.

Anyway, I miss him. I miss both of my parents.

That's basically the message.

No comments: