Monday, December 07, 2020

The Stillers lost. That's good.


 

Pittsburgh is a great city. It's a unique mix of culture, blue collar, white collar, and a whole lot of neighborhoods.

While I've only been there a few times, I've been immediately taken in by it. There's a lot of charm in the Burgh.

They also have their own unique accent and dialect. You know it if you've heard it.

They don't go downtown. They go dahntahn. They say "yinz" as a form of "you all," as in: "Yinz goin to the Stillers game? We can get some Primanti Brothers n'at dahntahn after."

"n'at=and so on"

I'm sure I'm not paying it true justice but hopefully you're getting the idea. 

Oh, and the "Stillers" are of course, the Steelers, and Pittsburghers are often known as "Yinzers."

Some are crying in their Arn City (Iron City Beer) tonight, following the Stillers 23-17 loss to Warshington (Washington) tonight at Heinz Field.

I watched between producing two podcasts and whatever else I was doing (n'at).

When a tipped ball landed in the arms of Washington's Jon Bostic, I felt deflated and annoyed. This could have produced a classic Adams Rant.

Nope. I felt relieved. The Steelers dropped to 11-1, and deservedly so.

They were outplayed by an undermanned Baltimore Raves team last week and deserved to lose. They pulled more of the same today.

This time, in what has come be known as a "Mike Tomlin loss," they did indeed lose.

Look, I love Tomlin (Tawmlin) but, much like former coach Bill Cowher (Caher), the Steelers have these moments where they play down to their competition. Take nothing away from Washington. They won and deserved to.

But now, 12 games in, the Steelers have to get it back together. They have a world of doubters.

Including me. I think Kansas City is far better in the AFC. I actually expected the Steelers to lose to Buffalo next week (and they might still).

The undefeated season was a wonderful thought, if only to shut up the members of the 1972 Miami Dolphins, a team that I loved as a kid.

Yet, if we're really being fair, the '72 Dolphins were a team of good bounces and good fortune. They didn't dominate. They just played good, steady football.

And they won. That's the name of the game.

That's what the Steelers were doing this year, but they got sloppy and got picked off.

History isn't always kind to these wannabe perfect teams. Shall we discuss the Patriots, who went into the Super Bowl at 18-0 and left at 18-1?

No thanks. I want no part of that.

So give me this loss. Give the Steelers the chance now to play as the underdog and get their heads out of their backsides.

They've got the Bills, Bengals, Colts and Browns left. They might lose two more.

Hopefully that will be enough to shake them up.

Otherwise, there will be a lot of sad yinzers dahntahn n'at.

For better example of Pittsburgh English, please check out Pittsburgh Dad, who can be found all over social media.

No comments: