Thursday, August 06, 2009

John Hughes Tribute

So by now you know that director and producer John Hughes has died at the age of 59. His output in the 1980's was pretty remarkable.

It's hard to pick one clip (though I will), yet this represents his work up to 1991:


He directed eight movies (thanks, IMDb):
- Curly Sue (1991)
- Uncle Buck (1989)
- She's Having a Baby (1988)
- Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
- Weird Science (1985)
- The Breakfast Club (1985)
- Sixteen Candles (1984)

He also produced many more ("Pretty in Pink", "Home Alone"), and was a writer on a bunch of others, including "Mr. Mom", "National Lampoon's Vacation", and others.

I'll always love "Breakfast Club", "Sixteen Candles", "Pretty in Pink", "Weird Science", "Mr. Mom", and "Vacation", among others, yet for me, it will always be about Ferris. There are few movies that I will ever be able to quote as well ("Anchorman" comes to mind). It's funny - one of those movies that I never wanted to see, and an ex-girlfriend of mine talked me into watching it on VHS. Soon after, I owned a copy, and now own two (!) copies on DVD.

Here's a homemade collection of "Ferris Bueller's" best lines:

And try not to smile when you watch this:

No comments: