Friday, June 29, 2007

A Proposed Trade - Off The Bench For Odds and Sods

As we hit the heavy trading season in baseball, I figured I would look to shake things up here on the Exit 55 team by sending Off the Bench to Sean Kilkelly's Rangers Lead The Way in exchange for Odds and Sods, but Sean is too savvy and knows how much I wanted Odds (and by extension, Sods) so he will no doubt hold me hostage. Then I doubt Off the Bench would pass the physical. Therefore, we continue with Off the Bench.

We'll start with the good in baseball. Congratulations to Craig Biggio. who became the 27th member of the 3000 hit club last night in Houston against the Rockies. Biggio is a somewhat local guy, born in Smithtown on Long Island and attended college at Seton Hall.

Then there's Frank Thomas, a player whom I have always liked but has a reputation for being occasionally prickly. Regardless "The Big Hurt" hit career homer number 500 last night for the Blue Jays on the road against the Twins. The fan who caught the ball returned it to Thomas, and the Twins fans gave Thomas a nice ovation.

Then Thomas got ejected for arguing balls and strikes during his next at-bat. Funny.

Congratulations to these two future Hall of Famers.

Then there's the bad in baseball. Why not start with Paul Lo Duca, who is making friends in the Mets locker room. This arse clown decided that he is tired of being the team's spokesperson and called out the Latino ballplayers for not talking to the media. This is from Peter Botte in the Daily News:

"I'll do this (interview), but you need to start talking to other players," Lo Duca announced loudly after he was approached by a radio reporter after the Mets-Cardinals series finale was washed out by rain. "It's the same three or four people every day. Nobody else wants to talk. Some of these guys have to start talking. They speak English, believe me."


Way to represent, Paulie.

Sounds like the Yankees got a huge break last night in Baltimore because Noah's Ark was floating around Camden Yards as the Yanks took the lead in the top of the eighth before the umpires brought called for the tarp. Because of that, the game is now suspended and will be resumed on July 27th. Had that inning not started, the game would have been called and the Orioles would have won.

Sure do hate it when bad things happen to Peter Angelos.

I had bad info on Imus appearing on WFAN this morning. He didn't appear live but there sure were a lot of memories for four hours.

A few weeks ago I was at Yankee Stadium for the game against the Pirates. Before the game the Rutgers women's basketball team was honored with flowery speeches, pictures and so on. Obviously they can thank a certain radio host for that publicity, but they have somebody else to thank - Al Sharpton. Why? Because for the rest of their lives, these wonderful young women will be known as one thing:

Nappy-headed Ho's.

Don't believe me? If the Imus thing doesn't get blown out of proportion for being what it was - parody and satire - then it just goes away. Then King Al gets involved and it all explodes. Now, instead of being known as a good basketball team, they're known by the above term.

Don't believe me? I was in the Stadium, and that's all I heard. I also heard chants of "bring back Imus."

So thanks, Al.

The Chris Benoit story (while not a sports story, but an entertainment story) gets sadder and weirder as it develops. I'm not one of those who is going to hold Vince McMahon's feet to the fire, but this is not good for WWE.

Critics have ripped McMahon for airing the tribute to Benoit on Monday night but as far as I know, the details had not come to light by that point. Yet there's some conflicting info concerning Benoit's entry on Wikipedia, stating that it was updated on Sunday from a computer in Stamford, CT - home of the WWE.

You know how this goes - stay tuned.

Also condolences to those closest to Rod Beck - the bushy-mustached reliever who passed away last Saturday at the age of 38. The cause of death has not been determined.

Any guy who parked his RV in the parking lot of a minor league stadium where he was playing and shared beer and fun times with fans is OK with me. Still he had his demons. Here's hoping those demons didn't cause his demise.

I wish I could go to Paris. Maybe I'd stay at the Hilton.

That, friends, is the only way I'm getting those two words into this edition of Exit 55. Otherwise it's a non-story, featuring a non-person.

The Knicks picked up Zach Randolph from the Trail Blazers, along with Fred Jones and Dan Dickau in exchange for Steve Francis and Channing Frye. The NYPD is rejoicing.

Mr. Randolph has a slight history of off-the-court troubles. Just what the Knicks needed.

The Hockey Hall of Fame opened its doors yesterday for Mark Messier ("The Messiah"), along with Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, Scott Stevens, and executive Jim Gregory. I saw all of those players and they all deserve the honor, in my opinion.

Messier, of course, if the no-brainer of no-brainers. I've never been to the Hockey Hall of Fame - it's on my to-do list - but apparently players don't have to designate what team they will represent (a la baseball). I can imagine for Messier, that would be very tough. My heart would want him to pick the Rangers, but would understand if chose the Oilers. The guy only played 12 years and won five Stanley Cups there, compared with 10 seasons and one Cup win in New York.

But oh what a win it was.

I'm just not seeing the need for an iPhone.

I haven't said much on the job front, but I've been active. Twenty resumes went flying off this computer the past couple of days, but apparently my phone is off the hook. Or something.

A Libertarian think tank ranked New York's roads at 48th in the country. The study took into account things like road condition, tolls, maintenance and so on. Take heart though, New Yorker's.

New Jersey was dead last.

I should start a "NIMBY" watch, because I see somebody whining at least once a day in the paper. Yesterday it was a person who lives near an area where new ballfields will be built in Yorktown. Today, it's continued bitching about a proposed museum for Sing Sing in Ossining. It would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Incidentally I think the museum would be fascinating.

Of course, virtually everyday I see something related to the Patterson Crossing project.

No comments: