Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Graduate



There will be no references to Mrs. Robinson here, as we are talking about the graduation of The Son. He received his diploma from Pine Grove Country Day School last night, and I couldn't be prouder. He and his class sang songs, walked across the stage in caps and gowns (The Son didn't like the gown), and even danced - tap, no less! They were also each asked what they want to be when they grow up. I had a clue what Sean would say when his turn came, as he had hinted something about that to me recently. After telling us that he wanted to drive heavy machinery, or be a fireman, or something like that, he had recently changed his mind and told the entire audience that he wanted to be...

A baseball player.

That and a few other moments produced some near tears for me. The night was priceless.


This is before the ceremony, and I hope I'm not offending any parents by putting this picture up of their kids. From left to right - Sean, Aidan, Christian, and Ryan. Ryan is the son of a childhood friend of mine from my old neighborhood, while Christian and Aidan form, with Sean, the tightest trio of friends that their teacher has ever seen in over 20 years of teaching. They will each go to different schools in the fall, so we're all hopeful we can keep their friendship alive.


Before we move on, I have to give you some video of the now baseball prodigy. This is The Son's last at-bat of the 2007 season. I had the idea that each player should be allowed to end on a home run, thinking that every kid should know what that feels like because many might never know it. This is The Son's moment.



We will celebrate the season at the league picnic this Saturday.

2 comments:

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

From left to right in the photo is Rob Adams, Ricky Fritsch, Ian Handwerger, and Gordon Styer!

Rob Adams said...

Fortunately I was not eating or drinking when I read this comment. By the way, I would replace Handwerger with you!