Monday, June 18, 2007

Quickie Poll Time!

OK, fans of irrelevant junk, polls, lists, and other minutiae, it's time to vote on local broadcasters. Neil Best from Metsday...oops, I did it again...Newsday, has put a poll about who is your favorite sports voices of the past and present. No, I'm not mentioned - which is just fine with me (besides, how would he even know me?).

So check it out here and make your voice heard!

The questions by the way are:
1) Who is your favorite sports talk personality?
I picked Mike Francesa. Maybe I should have gone with Steve Somers.

2) Who is your least favorite sports talk personality?
A no-brainer - Joe Benigno. Francesa will win this title, but Joe is my choice. Jesus what a stooge.

3) Who is your favorite play-by-play announcer?
I didn't love the choices, but I am a fan of Mike Breen, so he got my vote. I'm betting Gary Cohen will win since this is Metsday after all.

4) Who is your least favorite play-by-play announcer?
John Sterling or Suzyn Waldman will win (or lose), hands down. But for me, I'm picking Gary Cohen. He's much more obnoxious, arrogant, and a pom-pom waver than people realize. Sterling and Waldman are easy targets. It takes guts to dare to knock the mighty Cohen. Consider it OUTTA HERE!

5) Who is your favorite game analyst?
Perhaps I should have picked Ken Singleton. Jim Kaat is no longer doing games, and he would have likely been my choice. Fine - you can say I have a bias here, since I voted for Bobby Murcer.

6) Who is your least favorite game analyst?
A tough call, based on the choices. I picked Dick Lynch, since he just sounds like time has passed him by. Again, a tough call. To pick either Keith Hernandez or Ron Darling would have simply been unfair.

7) Who is your favorite living former NY sports announcer?
Hmmm...let's see. I could pick Vin Scully, or Vin Scully, or Vin Scully. In the end I went with Vin Scully. It was tough. I'm guessing it will come down to between Marv Albert, Phil Rizzuto, and the great Scully. To be fair, Vin last called a game as a New York announcer in 1958. However, since Marv is working for YES calling Nets games, I think this one might be bogus.

8) Who is your least favorite living former NY sports announcer?
Other than my votes for Scully and Benigno, this was the easiest one to call - and apparently the easiest for everyone. The overwhelming call is for the abysmal Fran Healy.

By the way, you do not have an option to write in any votes. I'm sure Neil will eventually do a poll on Greenwich announcers. I'll let you know when that's up.

2 comments:

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

Suzyn Waldman = Worst Broadcaster * Annoying * Phony * Overexcited

I'll never forget Suzie broadcasting the SF earthquake during the World Series!The problem is she reports everything in the same excitable manner...Yankees lose to Tampa Bay in April...Oh no, henny penny, the sky is falling.

Her reaction to the Clemens return was an all-time low for her. The good news is she can only go up from there! The fact that Waldman has a job - and for the Yankees no less - tells me that talent has nothing to do with getting the job!

SGK

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

And that's the bottom line...

"'Cause Stone Cold said so!!!"