Saturday, January 13, 2024

The Opener!


 

I've been talking on and off about broadcasting some games for the Hudson Valley Vipers, the new Union Hockey League team playing Poughkeepsie.

Yet as things often do, the start date snuck upon us. In fact, they've already played one game, a loss on the road.

At one point, I was researching if a video stream was possible and what equipment and costs were associated.

With that not an option, time ticked away.

I threw open the doors to Robcasting for an audio-only call for the team's home opener on Sat, Jan 13.

*checks notes* that's TONIGHT!

Rick Zolzer -- forever, "The Zolz" -- and I had communicated on and off and the holidays got right in the middle of the talking. Plus travel, other commitments, etc.

Finally, team president Pat Manning and I spoke this morning.

Game on.

Broadcast on.

Yes, I know, my peers at their desks in their ivory towers are slamming their fists down!

How dareth you attempt to take on such a game? Wouldst thou haveth 24 hours to prepare charts, graphs, pictures, and sick nugs*?

*Apparently the cool kids call such things that. We used to call them "Demer's Nuggets" in honor of Ryan Demaria. It's a fun term though. Enjoy.

Also, please note I'm just having some fun. Settle down.

In all seriousness, the ivory tower wouldn't accept this gig for myriad reasons. However, there are kids and at least one clown (that's me!) who love the challenge. In my case, I'm excited to document something historic like this.

I shall not besmirch the good name of play-by-play announcers everywhere!

Anyway, Pat and the team are OK with this ad-hoc approach tonight. I've done whatever research and prep I can, down to having to type up the rosters. If more notes materialize later, so be it.

Once the action starts, it's an audio call, so it's describe, describe, describe. I have a faint bit of knowledge of the Hudson Valley as well so that should help a wee bit. 

This is neither my first rodeo nor my first hockey game.

I also got off the phone with my cousin and, by sheer coincidence, he's going to be there. So it's a family affair now.

I'm sure tomorrow's post will be about this experience.

Oh, and did I mention I'm heading to Brunswick for a game at 3 p.m.? I mean, why should I ever make anything easy?

So I'll call Hill School and Brunswick at 3 p.m. then head up 684 to 84 to the Taconic to 55 and into Poughkeepsie for the Vipers/Gold Kings game at 8 p.m. at the McCann Ice Arena.

All of the action can be heard on Robcasting, while the Brunswick game can be seen on LocalLive.

I'll rest tomorrow, especially since the Steelers game in Buffalo has been moved to Monday at 4:30 thanks to the weather.

Football used to be played in the snow but this storm is apparently a monster.

So CBS -- who is broadcasting the game -- will have plenty of time to hang out in the Buffalo area until kickoff.

More time to prep, I guess. 

The Ivory Tower approves!

No comments: