Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Love Your Preparation

The Quarrymen, including two guys named McCartney and Lennon

Once I get involved in something, it's a commitment.

I'm pretty firm when it comes to commitments.

The latest is "Meet the Beatles," my new show on WGCH, beginning Sunday morning at nine.

To that end, last night I assembled the theme music and created a promo that will begin running on WGCH tomorrow.

I've played it for Sean and everything is receiving his approval.

Today, I began researching bits and pieces of the lads' past as that will be part of the opening show.

Or, should I say I'm reconfirming the myriad things I've read over the years. I've read plenty and have so much more that I can read.

If you know who Ivan Vaughan and Pete Shotton are, then you're on the right page.

If you know Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best, well, you probably should have a vague idea, but you're still in the right place.

It's a fresh canvas and I've been thinking over the things I want to talk about. To that end, I'm also thinking about the songs I want to play on the first show.

And that helps explain the extent of what this show will be like. The Beatles emerged from the likes of Elvis Presley and the Everly Brothers and Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry and, of course, Buddy Holly and the Crickets (think about it).

But they also came from Lonnie Donegan. Ever heard of him?

I'm sure many of you have, and that's good. This is all part of the journey.

This is the same way I'm feeling about the Hudson Valley Vipers hockey team. I learned that Saturday night's broadcast was very well-received and we're going to consider doing more games.

That led me to dig deeper into learning more about the players and the league. As I mentioned at the time, that's a challenge because information is seriously lacking as of now. In fact, the initial schedule that I had has vastly changed.

With nothing set in stone yet, all I can do is plot the games on my calendar and wait to see if the pieces come together.

But, of course, it's so gratifying to hear that the broadcast received good reviews given it was truly not my best. I'd like to think that will only get better.

It's fun to get fired up and go into that "all-in" frame of mind to start researching and preparing.

With "Meet the Beatles" I'm thinking about the first song to play and how to present it. I'm thinking about potential guests and stories to tell. 

It's all exciting. 

It's all new.

And I'm hoping it will be a show that will be way beyond compare.

No comments: