Friday, January 19, 2024

Junior

 


Kevin Devaney Jr announced the passing of his father, Kevin Sr, today on his social media accounts.

I've known Kevin for a bunch of years, first as an outstanding multimedia journalist in the region and now at LocalLive.

With his announcement, and considering I was working for him tonight at Iona Prep, I sent him a quick text to express my condolences. He told me about choosing to use Jr as part of his professional name when he first became a reporter.

The exchange with him and his pride at being a junior reminded me of the pride I've always felt of being a junior.

It's never been quite clear if my father wanted or didn't want to name me after him but I don't think it bothered him in the long run.

I don't know. Professionally, I'm nothing like him, as he was a truck driver and I talk. Then again, he never wanted me to do what he did.

But I am like him in terms of my diplomacy, smile, and I think his overall personality. Let's not discuss temper.

I never considered using junior professionally. In some ways, being "Rob Adams, Jr" wouldn't have worked because my father was never known as "Rob."

He was Donald/Don and Bob.

But I'm mighty proud to be named after him regardless.

I suppose it's selfish that it struck me today as I spoke with Kevin, but then again, I like talking about my old man. I like keeping his memory alive.

Sean, of course, isn't a junior but is partially named after my dad thanks to his middle name.

So, despite not having the full matching name, he has a lot of the same personality traits (and looks) to be just like me and my dad.

I miss the man every day but I'm fiercely proud of my lineage of being a junior.

And I know Kevin is also.

May Kevin Devaney Sr rest in peace.

*****

Today worked out really well, despite my concerns about the weather.

It snowed but it didn't stick too badly so I never missed a beat today. I made every stop in my day. 

I was even able to stop back at the apartment to host "Doubleheader" before heading to New Rochelle for the basketball game.

I'm pretty fond of a day like this in that, you know, I love it when a plan comes together.

The basketball game was a definitive win for Iona Prep but not every game can be a classic.

The plan moves into Saturday, in which I'm calling basketball at Brunswick at 2:30 and then walking over to the hockey rink to call that at 4:00.

Oh, and then Sunday. Have I mentioned I'm starting something on Sunday morning?

At 9 a.m.?

I think I've worked out the details of the first edition of "Meet the Beatles" and have even picked the first song.

It could all change.

But I hope to be in the studio, with breakfast in hand, sending you a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine.

Sorry for the overkill (aka "promoting").


No comments: