Tuesday, January 09, 2024

No Charge

 

Ludlowe (in white) and Greenwich line up for the National Anthem

Generally, once per basketball season, I broadcast a Fairfield Ludlowe basketball game.

Tonight they played the Greenwich Cardinals and that was a perfect reason for me to call it.

I do it for Shawn Sailer and Ludlowe head coach John Dailey. They like seeing a game get on the air, even if it's audio only on Robcasting.

I do it for -- deep breath! -- no charge.

I don't do much right in this life but one thing I seem to have an ability to do is broadcast sports. So, sometimes, I enjoy getting a few calls for fun.

These are no-pressure broadcasts, though I still put pressure on myself to do it right. But there aren't sponsor concerns and other commitments. It's purely to do right by the teams and audience.

They're broadcasts in which I can keep my skills sharp. In this case, it's a chance to do FCIAC basketball and I have a long relationship with the conference of now over 25 years.

But given I hope to be on FCIAC playoff/championship basketball next month, tonight allowed me the ability to touch base with the conference.


It was Ludlowe's night as they jumped out to a 10-0 lead as the Falcons picked up a 55-40 win over the Cardinals.

So, why do it? 

Well, in part, because I'm asked and it's appreciated. John and, of course, Shawn are friends of mine and, of course, I have a long history with Greenwich. So, I'm happy to do it. 

And, look, while it doesn't net me money tonight, sometimes I get something given to me (I'm a sucker for SWAG). But, regardless, it makes me feel good to do it.

Overall, I see it as a good thing.

Look, I've considered doing an FCIAC game of the week that would, truly, be a game of the week in that it would hit every school. But who would sponsor it?

That's the key question and, thus, it's never come to be. I can't always do it for free.


Tonight, however, it didn't matter to me. I was happy to quietly sit in the front row of the bleachers in the corner of the gym and call the game.

It gets me out of the house and, shockingly, keeps me out of trouble. Sometimes.

I'm blessed that Greenwich, Fairfield, and Trumbull appreciate my work. That's not to say the other towns don't but I'm fairly certain that those three towns will always welcome me when I need to get on a game broadcast.

AT one time or another, I've done broadcasts for each of the four schools in Fairfield (Fairfield Prep, Notre Dame, Ludlowe, and Warde). 

I'm talking with Jeff Alterman at Trumbull about at least doing a hockey game though we haven't locked it in yet. Maybe we'll get a basketball call in also.

So, yeah, it's all good.

Let's be clear: making money is the best answer. This is, after all, one of the things I do to pay the bills. However, if an opportunity arises and I weigh all the factors, if I decide to do it, who am I hurting?

Only me, I think. At that point, it's up to me.

And so I did tonight's game.

And I'm glad I did.

No comments: