Saturday, January 20, 2024

The Night Before

 

Brunswick and Hoosac in the second game of the day

It was another day for two game broadcasts.

First Salisbury/Brunswick basketball and then Hoosac/Brunswick hockey.

The basketball game was scheduled for 2:30 with hockey set for 4:00.

When I walked into the Dann Gym, Brunswick coach Steve Juricek greeted me with a joking line about being in the wrong place.

Yes, in truth, I called hockey last Saturday when the basketball team was playing at the same time. I try to be fair to both teams but I had to pick one.

"Hey Rob," he said. "The hockey rink is the other way."

I laughed as the point was duly noted.

I love, love, love that teams want coverage and that they want my voice on that coverage. It won't last forever and we always have to remember that. Moods and opinions and times change.

I hate spots like that, where I can't split the Adams (I used that line on the air and I still cringe at it). I can't get to both. However, it's sort of a good problem to have.

But, today, I liked the odds of calling both games.

So I told coach Juricek and Assistant Coach Zach Dobbs my plan. Eventually, I'd run into hockey head coach Mike Kennedy and tell him the same.

Basketball, often, can be a 90-minute affair. If the basketball game stayed close, then I'd be there for the whole thing before hurrying up to the hockey rink.

I finished the basketball setup, having brought in an audio interface that I bought on eBay a few years ago. It's not the same as Zoom PodTrak P4 but it would do the job.

Yes, I'd still love to have another mixer. I keep checking for deals. I have a problem. If there's Mixer's Anonymous, I'd go.

But the Behringer audio interface would do, and I kept the setup to be minimal and sufficient with no loss of quality. I used the interface and a headset, connecting my computer and the audio input jack in the gym. The only other thing would be to make sure it sounded good when LocalLive went, er, live.

Then, some 2.5 hours early, I walked up to the Hartong Rink's Balkind Balcony to set up for hockey. A junior game was going on and there were people standing in our "broadcast booth" area.

I worked around them as they appeared to be dumbfounded that someone would need the space they had taken over.

I set up the Zoom PodTrak P4, the internet that I'd be using, and a few other cables so that Josh the videographer could get my audio. I wanted to have things set so that I could come back, plug in, and start calling hockey.

The junior game ended as I set up and I scurried out to eat.

Oh yeah, sustenance is an absolute necessity.

(Also, please note the complete level of preparation here)


Back in the gym, I thought things might come to a crashing end as the Bruins hoops squad fell behind by 21 points late in the first half. From there, I figured I'd call the game until late in the second half, pack up, and head back to the rink.

Then Wick nibbled. 

But Salisbury answered.

It continued.

Then the deficit began to dwindle.

It was 62-51. An 11-point lead.

Then the Bruins went on a 21-0 run, fueled by a combination of Jack Stevens's three-pointers and Jaylen Pray's inside presence.

It was 72-62.

Salisbury tried to rally but fell 76-70. It was a standout win for Brunswick.

The postgame was about as fast as I could make it before I threw equipment in a bag and walked quickly to the rink. Somehow, it was just about 3:58 when I walked in.

I set up the computer and plugged things in. Josh and I did a sound test as the teams lined up for the faceoff.

I made it. In the end, I called both games in their entirety.

By the way, there's nothing heroic about this. Nothing special. I talk. 

It's my job and my passion. Granted, nobody said I had to do both games but you know I wanted to.

It doesn't show in the picture but shots on goal were 48-8


The hockey game didn't have the same drama. The Bruins won 6-0 and outshot the Hoosac Owls 48-8.

But this Brunswick hockey team is really special. How special? We'll find out in March, to be honest.

There's such a feeling of satisfaction when the job is done. I know at times the broadcasts are silly and maybe even flippant, which is more acceptable and easier to do when the result is not in doubt.

That's when I can joke about calling both games and needing a cup of coffee and so on.

But I truly believe the broadcasts are always professional.

With the games done, I returned home for the night to get ready for tomorrow.

Something is going on in the morning. At least I think so.

I'll figure it out.

I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

No comments: