Monday, November 06, 2023

The Monday Schedule

 

One of the teams on the upcoming schedule

I'm not a man of words tonight.

We're taking it easy here, although I've been working all day.

It's a time of arranging calendars and seeing if I can make game broadcasts happen.

You might recall that I did a Connecticut Roughriders hockey game back in September. I enjoyed it though I thought it might be a one-time thing. They have a broadcaster and I was there to be a fill-in. But the team, or at least the person I was contacted by, felt otherwise and said I'd be back.

In a spot like that patience is absolutely necessary. Their other broadcaster was supposed to go over the schedule with me so we could come up with more games for me to call but that conversation never happened. No big deal since we're all busy.

So my contact reached back out and handed me a few more games. The first one is this Friday at 11 a.m. in Norwalk.

The other games were the first ones noted on my 2024 calendar. 

Friday's game could be one of seven that I would call between Wednesday and Sunday afternoon.

You know, standard operating procedure for me if possible.

Currently, I'm working on seeing if we can get the GYFL -- the Greenwich Youth Football League -- back on WGCH for the first time in a few years.

I first called the GYFL back in the early 2000s when management told me we would be doing the games. Admittedly, I was skeptical, especially since we weren't going to the booth at Cardinal Stadium. Instead, we went to Western Middle School, where there was no booth and no power. 

Upon arrival, there was a generator and a flatbed truck.

We made it work and it was actually fantastic. It was so fantastic that I had to ask people at the field to turn their radios down because our voices were bouncing around so much that there was feedback.

We've done it several times since, including once or twice when I wasn't even available. On other occasions, I did it alone.

Keep in mind it's three games. As you can imagine, it's a bit of a long day. But while I strive for the broadcasts to sound professional and make the kids feel like they're "big time," there's also fun charm to the day.

The kids love the attention. So do the families. So long as I have rosters and any information, we can make it work. Then it turns into being a blast.

So, in almost all certainty, I will be at Cardinal Stadium on Sunday for a long but fun day.

Hey, if I'm in my usual booth and I have some food/coffee, I'll be fine.

They also have a Graduation Bowl the day after Thanksgiving and I plan to be there for that too.

What I've learned is that not everyone in our business would be up for doing these things. They feel that the conditions have to be just right, while my thing is to be able to do anything.

I've even heard some say this is beneath them. Admittedly, I don't like that attitude.

We're all different and so it goes.

So it's a night of plugging into the calendar as best as I can.

I'm committed to Brunswick for hockey and basketball once again but I'm really trying to make WGCH a player in Greenwich sports again beyond just football. I've identified some games but there's more work to do.

It's a matter of getting the sponsors needed to afford it.

We have people who can run the studio and we have at least one announcer (hi). 

So, yeah, I want to see games get carried, whether it's on LocalLive, WGCH, or Robcasting. Or Hudl, which Greenwich High is now using.

Indeed, I said I wasn't a man of words tonight, but these are the words that I have.

No comments: