Saturday, November 11, 2023

Sometimes Words Aren't Needed


 

As a man of words -- mostly spoken but many written -- it troubles me when I don't have words.

I'll have to talk today, as Brunswick hosts Williston Northampton in the season finale at Cosby Field.

I'll talk. I'll describe the action for the two-plus hours that the game takes before packing up and coming home.

Then I'll regroup for the four games I'm calling tomorrow.

But writing words such as in this post can be a challenge.

You know there are stories you can't tell. It's not your place.

You know you feel helpless. Is helplessness the worst feeling?

Honestly, I don't know. Obviously, pain varies in different circumstances but pain with helplessness is a whole different level.

But that's just it: I don't know. Does anyone?

As such, I'm rambling with a bunch of words on this computer screen.

I mean, I could bloviate about the Jersey Mike's sandwich that I'm finishing up.

It's me in a nutshell: boring.

Turkey, provolone, and Jersey Mike's "juice" and spices.

Oh, lettuce and tomato are also on it -- which I didn't ask for -- so I'll just take some of that off.

Mostly, the tomato. Sorry, I like my tomatoes in paste or sauce form. Always have.

It's also Veterans Day and I wish to tip my cap to many brave souls who have risked so much for our safety and way of life.

We've often been quite shameful in our treatment of veterans. Let's not be that way.

My dad was in the Army and I've written about that. He was honorably discharged and didn't get to go to Korea. It was something he thought was very important but it probably goes without saying that I'm sort of happy he didn't go, simply for his own health and safety.

Not going always stuck with him but he's still a veteran and there's always a flag placed on his grave.

So thanks, Dad. But also thanks to the uncles, cousins, friends, and strangers who risked for much.

I'll go talk for a few hours about a football game that I hope entertains and enlightens the audience. 

I hope it honors the athletes, coaches, and schools.

And I hope it allows everyone to check out of the real world for a few hours just as it does the same for me.

Game time is 4 p.m. on LocalLive and Robcasting.

No comments: