Monday, November 27, 2023

Nonsense


 

It's another Monday.

Another day in a year.

Another 24 hours of digging through the cobwebs of my brain to find a topic to write about as we turn toward the end of the fifth year of this writing exercise.

This means that while I hope there have been many meaningful posts there have also been posts that have been, at best, "filler."

In other words, for every "A Day in the Life," there's also "Good Morning Good Morning."

In some cases, filler can be quite good and, as such, using The Beatles is a bad example but I think you get the idea.

This rolling around in my brain led me to think about the amount of dreck I've written.

I also thought about what I could write tonight.

Like pretzels.

A completely silly topic that I'll treat with complete sincerity.

I've probably mentioned how much I love pretzels.

They have been a staple in any kitchen I've lived in for as long as I can remember.

Originally, I remember getting hot pretzels back in the day when department stores had a snack bar.

So we'd get them at a store called White's in Yorktown Heights and Caldor.

There was nothing like a hot, soft pretzel with just enough salt. A good one melts in your mouth.

At home, we were all about hard pretzels.

Rods.

Bachman pretzel rods.

People in my family still associate those with me and I can understand why. To keep them fresh and in one piece, my mother bought a special tin that we kept in the kitchen.

At one point Backman had an outlet store near Reading, PA and you better believe I bought plenty of bags.

They've always been the perfect snack and the quick answer when I didn't know what else to eat.

I picked up a bag when I was in Mahopac for football; they're not as readily available as they used to be.

As our Wegmans doesn't carry them, we grab the barrel of Utz (full disclosure: Bachman is owned by Utz) and they're good but not quite the same.

But, yeah, these are the types of things that enter my brain on a night when I need a topic.

I spent most of "Doubleheader" ticking people off today so it's probably best to stay away from that.

So this is what you get tonight.

I probably owe you an apology.


I could, however, rhapsodize about Paul McCartney's book The Lyrics: 1956 to the Present. I got the book as a birthday present last week and I've begun reading it. OK, full disclosure: I bought it for myself.


Or a review of the first episode of the 60th anniversary of Doctor Who. Short version: love the story and, of course, the chemistry between David Tennant and Catherine Tate. 

But I figure those items can wait for another time.

More filler, I suppose.

I just hope the filler leans closer to being hits.

No comments: