Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Fifty-Five Alive

 


Well, we've made it.

On an icy Friday morning 55 years ago, Nancy Adams brought her third child into the world.

I was named for my father, and I am proud to carry that.

The number 55 has been one of the many quirks about me. It became a thing when I was five and I discovered I could never wear it for the Yankees. It had been retired in honor of some guy named Joe DiMaggio.

So it was when I was trying to find a name for this little corner of the internet back in 2006. I remembered my love of roads and my favorite number. As such, "Exit 55" was born.

Today was spent in a mostly quiet way, hanging out with two of the people who mattered the most to me, including Sean.

We had lunch and fought traffic to get home.

I didn't do "Doubleheader" so it was an easy day.

It was interesting in that I kept having to remind myself that it was, actually, my birthday. Perhaps years of downplaying it made me forget about it.

It's better to take that approach as it's, in reality, not a big deal. Plus building up expectations only creates a foundation for potential disappointment.

So I'll take today as it happened, thanks.

I received texts, phone calls, and social media greetings.

I thank everyone for their kindness.

As for gifts, I'm long past those days. The gifts to me were the presence of loved ones and laughter. Of food and drinks. Of living to see another day.

And a cupcake.

The food didn't have to be Waffle House, as the closest location is two hours away.

We'll get there again soon.

No, the simplicity of chicken parm -- perhaps my favorite thing of all -- was enough for me.

Because it, you know, tastes so good. At least that's what Peyton Manning says and I agree with him.

(Photo: Newsday)

Thus for the next 365 days, I get to be that number that has been so close to me since I was five. The number of athletes -- including a World Series MVP (Hideki Matsui) -- and roads and pop culture references.

And the number of this blog.

We turn towards 56 now. 

We also turn towards Thanksgiving in a few hours. Yes, I'll enjoy the family time and the food, but I also very much enjoy the tradition of football games, including Staples/Greenwich tomorrow at Cardinal Stadium.

Listen to us at 9:50 am on WGCH, Robcasting, and Hulu

Both teams are among the best in the state and we'll give you a good show on the air.

There will be a new 55-year-old on the play-by-play.

Hopefully, somewhere his parents are proud of him.

I'll say this: I'm blessed to have amazing friends who are like family and amazing family as well. I'm a person who has done everything to be authentic, which is both a blessing and a curse.

I am what I am, I suppose.

Good and bad. but, hopefully, mostly good.

Onto Thanksgiving.

But I'm thankful for today.

No comments: