Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Playoffs?

 

Nov 25, 2001. Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Mora
enters "Playoffs?" into sports lexicon

Greenwich hosts Stamford in a state semifinal football game tonight.

Game time is 6:30 at Cardinal Stadium. Chris Erway and I will open the broadcast at 6:20.

Funny thing about our pregame show: it's literally just to get on the air. That's why nearly every pregame show of mine for a quarter of a century has been ten minutes. It's the chance to make sure everything is working and have a last-minute chance to fix it if not.

Oh sure, we'll do an opening breakdown with a scene-setter and some keys to the game but we figure we have the actual game broadcast to present the whole story.

In reality, we've already connected to the radio station long before that, but you just never know. Back in the days of the sideline reporter, it was an opportunity to double-check their connection. Again, we already tested everything (preparation!) before air time but signals get jammed as more people come into the stadium.

A playoff game or a championship game or even the Thanksgiving game just hits differently. There are simply certain games that are different. The stakes are higher.

The care and attention put into a likely midseason blowout is now heightened. 

We know -- with every broadcast -- we have a lot of Cardinals fans listening. They're listening from Greenwich and far beyond.

They're listening in California and England and Asia and beyond.

Honestly, that's the truth.

They might not be listening on the space station but who's to say?

But yes I've heard many times from the people listening around the world.

It's more than Cardinals fans, however.

Tonight, Stamford fans will tune in. Oh, they expect that Chris and I are waving pom poms for Big Red but it's simply not true. I think we were pretty fair to Staples last Thursday. I'm comfortable with that.

Both teams deserve a fair shake. That's always been my belief.

It makes me think back to the Greenwich/Fairfield Prep playoff game back in 2021. I noted we were getting attacked for having a "Prep bias" online. One user said we were auditioning to be the Prepm announcers.

Well, for what it's worth, we briefly were because they felt we were fair and honest and called a good game. Oh, and the price was right but I digress.

Fans, of course, are rarely happy with broadcasters. It's part of the landscape.

But, yes, Stamford fans will listen (and watch).

So will fans with no rooting interest, just wanting to check in and see how the game is going.

The audience can get large, especially if it's a compelling game.

I think it will be just that for what it's worth. I prefer to not make predictions when I'm the play-by-play announcer but I do expect Greenwich will be angry and Stamford will try to prove they belong, making their first playoff appearance since 1995.

It makes for what should be a fun (and cold) night at Cardinal Stadium.

As with any big game, there will be some nerves and anxiety before air time. I call these "good nerves" because they are. I'm in this position for a reason and I'm proud of that. 

Eventually, as it always does, the theme music will swell, and I'll open my big mouth.

We'll settle into the pregame show, take a break, and then get down to business.

And then the nerves will settle down. That's when it becomes just like any other game.

Except it's not.

It's the playoffs.

Win or go home.

One and done.

If Greenwich wins, we'll talk to you on Sunday at 12:20.

If not, I'll probably be watching football on TV.

I'd prefer to keep working.

1 comment:

Krowog said...

Un véritable compendium de connaissances ! J'aurais aimé tomber sur ce site plus tôt. Comme on dit, mieux vaut tard que jamais ! Mes salutations GoWork blog!