Monday, November 20, 2023

My Spot

 


As I wrote yesterday, I got a loveseat courtesy of my cousin.

Suddenly, our apartment feels a lot more like a home.

Look, it's been our place for nearly 18 months and we've been very happy here.

Yet, to be honest, I didn't sit in the living room a lot. Occasionally, yes.

I love my Ikea chair but I often felt we were missing something. 

I can be the type to crash on the couch while watching TV, or come out to the couch in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. Admittedly I haven't done that in years.

But more than the comfort factor, it felt like we really couldn't host anyone.

Not that people have busted the door down to come visit but still.

When Sean and I had my cousin Kris over for the Super Bowl, we used the Ikea chair, my office chair, and an ottoman from Sean's room. It worked and no one complained.

We'd do something similar if we were watching a movie. It was fine.

Still, it just felt weird.

So I looked into couch ideas. A full-sized one would have been too big for the space. I thought a futon might be the way to go or some kind of sleeper. Kris used an air mattress when he stayed over the night before we flew to Florida. For the record, he was fine.

But when Kourtney posted this loveseat (and Susan saw it online) it was hard to say no.

I sat in it not long after Kris and Danny left yesterday and put football on TV.

And, not long after dinner, I fell asleep, curled up with the cat in his bed nearby.

The loveseat has made the room somehow feel more complete. Maybe it's even made it feel like a "real" living room.

Even tonight, I have the TV on and am sitting out here while the Eagles and Chiefs play.

There was a point yesterday where I looked in the living room and smiled. I felt proud.

I felt the same thing this morning when I walked out of my bedroom.

This has been our home. No question about it.

Yet there it is more comfortable now.

Come visit us.

Just be aware I might be asleep.

No comments: