Thursday, November 02, 2023

A Pittsburgh Party

 


This is going to be a long day and I'm ready.

It starts the usual way: wash, rinse, repeat.

There will be breakfast.

And miles. Lots of miles.

Sean and I are first heading to Ulster County to meet up with Kris and Danny. Kris has volunteered to drive so I'm happy to cut a little of the chaos off for them. Then we'll leave my car there.

Then? Miles. Minutes.

Out through Middletown and Port Jervis and into Pennsylvania. I-84 will carry us towards Scranton, where "The Office" theme song will tingle in my ears.

Oh, and if I haven't mentioned it, the Scranton area has two -- TWO -- little establishments called Waffle House.

But I digress.

Heading down I-81 Scranton will turn to Moosic and onto Wilkes-Barre.

Then we'll connect with I-80.

Then the wilderness.

Much like other trips in 2023, I don't know where we'll stop or what we'll find. We won't -- at least based on my research -- have Wawa to rely on. We'll need to stop for fuel and food somewhere for sure.

Eventually, we'll likely hook up with I-99, much despised in the road enthusiast world for being out of the numbering scheme for such roads and for being a bit of a red tape mess due to one person's ego.

But, it exists and will get us where we need to go.

The roads and numbers will continue on until we reach Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

Home of the six-time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers.

Yes, I'm packed. Of course, I am. Is Sean? I don't worry about him. I trust him to be ready. He'll have his nouse-cancelling headphones and whatever device he wants to bring. He handles car trips like a pro. 

And me? I'll be a traveler! I mean, I won't be driving for once. But, as I've been told, I'm the tour guide.

Yes, I've done my homework. We know where the hotel is. We know where we probably want to eat. We have a decent idea of what we want to do. I have a clue on where I want to park and how I want to get to Acrisure Stadium.

From there, are you ready for some football?

Quarterback Kenny Pickett says he's playing. Whether he will or not is still a question in my mind. The Tennessee Titans are starting Will Levis at QB. Levis played high school ball at Xavier.

You know, Xavier in Middletown, CT. A team that Greenwich has played a few times over the years.

So we have storylines and lots more to get excited about.

Road trip.

Food.

Family.

Fun.

Football.

Steelers football!

If you have Amazon Prime, look for us. I'll no doubt be in a Terry Bradshaw black number 12 football jersey.

We'll be there.

One last thing: the Texas Rangers won their first World Series last night. On that note, we say farewell to our beloved National Pastime for 2023. I miss it already but wait patiently for that first sound of ball hitting glove in February.

No comments: