Monday, February 14, 2022

Valentine's Day

 


Happy Valentine's Day, bloggo family.

I know, and I get it. It's a Hallmark concoction at this point.

It's a day of heightened pressure for partners to step up. 

It's also a day that can make one feel inferior.

It can be as miserable as a lot of other holidays. I'm quite familiar with that feeling.

Of course, it can be horribly painful to be alone -- or feel alone -- on Valentine's Day. That's because of societal pressures, marketing, and just plain silliness.

When put in these terms, it doesn't sound pretty or pleasant at all.

Yet, if the circumstances are right, it can also be just simply about a day of love.

Not even romance. Love.

Love for yourself. Love for someone else. Simple platonic love.

In truth, anything can be a valentine. Now, I realize some of you are putting your minds in the gutter and I get that. I'd probably do the same. But what I'm trying to say to you is that, in case you need to read this, it's OK to be alone. It's OK to be whatever you are and with whoever you're with.

And, of course, it's OK to not be OK. Please just be honest and open with yourself about it and seek whatever help you need.

But there's simply no need to buy into the pressure.

For what it's worth -- and no need to ask -- I had a perfectly delightful, trouble-free Valentine's Day. 

It was a nice way to start the workweek.

In some ways, we've improved "V Day" with things like "Galentine's Day" for ladies and the like. Still, others have just said, "screw it" and didn't worry about it.

Those are the best outcomes.

The thing I just don't want to see is people feeling sad about this notion of Valentine's Day or anything else for that matter. 

The pressure of it all is unnecessary.

But remember you have friends.

I'm here. I'll be your valentine.

The concept of love can be so deep. You think you know what it is. You think you've found it. Then it all turns out to be wrong and it rattles you to your very core. You lose faith. Trust. There's damage.

I have no magic words for any of that.

But I have words of support. Sometimes that's all one can offer.

Take care of yourself today. Start there.

Then wake up tomorrow and carry it.

Happy Valentine's Day.



No comments: