Thursday, February 24, 2022

Connections

Before tonight's game at Trumbull

I implore students to develop a network. 

Make friends. Lots of them.

It's the thing that I'd go back and tell my teenage self. I tend not to shop in the regret department but I suppose this one counts a little.

Sure, I'm all about education. I push broadcasters to go to college, even if they've opted for something like CSB. I think it's all about personal development. To that end, if I'm being honest, I still beat myself up occasionally for not having a Master's, as if I'm somehow not worthwhile otherwise.

But there's no question that the broadcasting industry is about who you know. I've long said that talent and quality do not ultimately win out.

There's a whole separate post in that paragraph.

So I've built my network. I've cultivated it and, of course, I did it, ahem, my way. I've mentored so many broadcasters of all ages.

I always say I'm rooting for them -- and I am. I then laugh and ask them to not take my job.

Those whom I'm close to don't forget and I don't forget them.

My actual goal in 2021 was to have many of those friends join me at Dutchess Stadium and it just never worked out. Chris Erway, Jake Zimmer, Dan Gardella, Kevin Halpenny, and on and on and on were on my list.

To further my point, Jake Zimmer and I always look out for each other. So, when he texted me today, it was to create a new connection for me. I won't get into details yet but by the end of the conversation, I was considered part of the rotation for a future situation.

It could be great.

Maybe another place to call home.

That's the very thing. These connections are important. I think all the way back to coming home one night, finding a message from a radio friend, and returning his call.

"I was asked if I was interested in doing something for WREF in Ridgefield," he said. "I'm not, but I know someone who is. Get an audition tape to him ASAP."

I did and I got that position. Sadly, within six months WREF was sold and closed their studios.

The connections I made at WREF led me to WGCH 25 years ago right around now.

And it's gone on from there.

Is this a reason for some excitement? Well, not yet, but it's a positive thing and we could all use a little positivity.

Oh, and St. Joseph won the girls FCIAC championship tonight in girls basketball. Brunswick won their semifinal game so I'll call my first FAA basketball championship on Saturday. I've also picked up the Section One hockey championships for the first time. Then it's FCIAC boys basketball and hockey next week. Maybe wrestling in Atlantic City. 

I just need to have a voice.

It's a little sore tonight.

No comments: