Saturday, February 12, 2022

Road Trip Tomorrow!

 


"What time are you going to have to leave the house?" Chris Erway asked.

"Probably around 5:30," I said.

"Oof," came the reply.

Chris and I have been asked to tag team (see what I did there?) wrestling at Franklin High School in New Jersey tomorrow. The first match begins at 9 a.m. and will roll until probably around 3:30 or 4 p.m.

I'll try to post a link via my social media tomorrow morning if you'd like to check some of it out.

Yes, it's Super Bowl Sunday but I never watch the pregame so this works.

There's a chance of some snow but it doesn't seem like it will be as bad as I had feared.

So, let me get this straight. I can get up early on Sunday, drive with (hopefully) minimal traffic and probably grab breakfast at Wawa? Maybe even lunch or dinner before I go home?

What's the problem here!?

The only thing missing is a longer road trip and Waffle House!

Heck, the Wawa factor almost -- truly -- got Sean to go with me. But he has school work to do and, look, I understand. You do have to be a certain kind of crazy (that's me) to do what I do.

Knowing the first match is at 9:00 and that Chris and I feel like we're walking in a little blind, we both want to be on-site early enough to get the lay of the land and compile whatever homework we can.

My colleagues in the play-by-play world would be in a fetal position, just as they would have flipped when I called Brunswick/Hamden Hall yesterday. I didn't have a Hamden Hall roster so I got one out of their scorebook, consulted with some stuff online, matched it up wrote a down, took a sip of water, and, WHAMMO!, I called the game.

Chris and I arrived for the FCIAC Wrestling Championship at New Canaan today and there were myriad items of concern. Where to set up? Who is our primary contact? What are the matchups? Who is our camera person? Do they know how to connect to Local Live? Is Local Live ready for us?

No need to panic. Each question was answered and you, dear viewer/listener was no less the wiser.

This wasn't my first rodeo.

Or wrestling match.

Tomorrow, I will call wrestling alone for the first time. Chris and I are calling the first session at 9am but we're splitting up at 11:30 so we'll each take a mat. It will be his first solo effort and he'll be great. He knows wrestling inside and out and can break down all of the action. I will take more of a narrating approach in my solo broadcast, letting the picture dictate more than anything.

Oh, don't worry, it will still be exciting.

We'll team back up at 2pm for the last matches of the day.

If it all goes according to plan I will be in front of my TV in time for the kickoff of the Big Bonanza at 6:30.

I highly suggest they make it exciting because I might fall asleep.

Incidentally, I don't think I've missed a kickoff of a Super Bowl since I watched my first one in 1978. Hopefully, that streak continues.

Rams 31, Bengals 23. Hopefully, Cincinnati has the ball late for a little drama.

I have no dog in the fight except the d-o-g-g named Snoop.

*Please note both road pictures in this post were picked at random and do not represent anything other than maybe I'll be on one of the roads represented. I know how...er...precise my fellow road enthusiasts are.



No comments: