Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Can I Get a Boost?

 

*Photo not meant as an endorsement of "Big Pharma"

It was 12:24 p.m.

Don't ask me why but I take note of such things.

The needle went into my arm and was fairly painless, just as I remembered it was almost a year earlier.

I hate needles, to be clear. Yet, this was nothing.

I'd followed all of the instructions. I had a short-sleeve shirt under my long-sleeve quarter-zip. I was 15 minutes early and checked in online as I pulled into the parking lot of the CVS in Mahopac. I went where directed and, before I knew it, it was over.

"You're all set," the business-like man said after giving me my Pfizer booster shot. "Stick around the store for 15 minutes. You can go get your card."

Yeah. The card The one thing I screwed up. I left it out in the car in the parking lot.

I returned to the lot to retrieve the card and pondered how the CVS had once been a Grand Union supermarket (when markets really weren't so "super") and, later on, our beloved Tom Kat sporting goods store. The church I was baptized in, now empty, was across the street.

There's a lot of history around there for me.

But, anyway, I grabbed the card and went back inside. I sat and waited while he boosted another patient, got the card out, put more air in the blasted tire (grumble bleeping BJs), grabbed lunch, and came back home.

I'm going to fill up on liquids before I try -- key word! -- to go to Brunswick for hockey.

I wish I had gotten boosted sooner but given I had a few colds through December and January it felt best to wait until I was feeling better.

This post isn't meant to put any pressure on readers to get any vaccine. I'd be honored if it inspired someone but, otherwise, you do you. I decided a year ago I wanted the vaccination and, once the booster became available, I was ready for that also. This is what I believe in.

But, belief or not, I also can't do certain things without vaccinations. As I've mentioned, I'm supposed to be on a plane to London in April to moderate a Hunt Scanlon conference. 

And, as we know, there are places you can't walk into without it. I'll be in New York City next month for the next Hunt Scanlon conference. If I join Paul Silverfarb the night before to grab dinner, you can guarantee people will want to see our vaccine cards.

So, the jab, er, job is done, and I'm good with it.

Great, even.

I'm proud to have done my part.

Did I mention the tires aren't done yet and I don't have an answer as to when it will be resolved?

So, hopefully, you'll hear me from Brunswick at 5p this afternoon.

No comments: