Sunday, February 27, 2022

Stairway to Broadcasting

 

A panoramic view of Sport-o-Rama

Two games. Six periods. One-hundred-two minutes of play. Twenty-two goals. One penalty shot.

In the end, Pelham Memorial beat John Jay (Cross River) 9-1 and Suffern beat Mamaroneck 11-1.

The Pelicans (NOT PANTHERS) topped the Wolves (NOT INDIANS) and both head to the regional playoffs while the Mounties also advanced. Sadly, the Tigers' season is over.


I called all of it from a stairway in the corner of the Sport-o-Rama Ice Rinks in Monsey, NY.

Look, many facilities are just not built for media. Few hockey barns have designed space for such. Sport-o-Rama has nothing. They had an area that was apparently used by the media in the past but due to insurance concerns was closed off by the time I walked in this morning.

Josh, the cameraman I worked with today, stood atop a set of stairs while we hashed it all out with the rink staff. In one version, I was going to stay at ice level and work from the corner, getting to know new best friends in the overflow crowd.


Ultimately, I joined Josh on the stairs where I would have to lean over to see the scoreboard.

Lesser broadcasters -- more entitled, dare I say -- would have squawked or demanded a better perch.

Others would have just helped themselves to space.

No. I'm a guest in their building. I do as they tell me -- like it or not. Sport-o-Rama, who was great to work with, was willing to accommodate Josh and me but this stairway appeared to be the best option.

So, you adjust. Moaning makes you a malcontent and people won't want to work with you again. So suck it up and set up and kill the broadcast.

My view of the scoreboard

My style will always be honest. I explained where we were positioned. I explained that there wasn't a PA announcer for goals and penalties initially. I just make the best of things. 

Younger broadcasters want to rule the world (don't we all?) but you also have to earn that respect by grinding and being open-minded. This isn't just handed to you. It's not always about showing up in your best suit jacket. I stood in a grimy ice rink (the best kind) in jeans and a quarter-zip, with a hoodie and a wool jacket on. I sat on those stairs at times between periods and games. I dug for notes and rosters and Kevin Devaney, Jr. fed me some info via text.

This is how you do it.

I have a great relationship at Brunswick yet I don't have an open door at Wick. It's still their facility. I know I can grab two basketball chairs for broadcasts. I can't just go commandeer a table. There is a protocol. There are people on the food chain higher than I am.

Same with Greenwich High. You can say that's my pressbox but I am entitled to none of it. Besides, people move on, times change, and I'm easily forgotten.

This is how it works.

Today, at Sport-o-Rama, it was a set of stairs that were used a few times as we worked there and we had to adjust to that also.

But, do it right, treat everyone with respect, and (guess what?) you'll get the same in return.

I should charge for these lessons.

Onto a new week. FCIAC boys basketball semis. Probably back to Brunswick on Wednesday, FCIAC boys hoops championship on Thursday, maybe to Atlantic City(!) on Friday, and more hockey on Saturday.

On a day when I felt I wasn't at my best, I'll shake it off and get right back to it. When I got home I will tell you I was grumpy and low before Travis Jackson texted me to say people are giving my call a lot of love. I can't explain how much I needed that.

The grind continues.

Or someone else will take it.

No comments: