Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Telling the 'Tales?'


 

I hate unfinished products and unfinished business. The very reason I waited until Aug 2006 to start this thing was that I wanted to be sure I'd actually stick with it. After 15 years I feel fairly comfortable that I've succeeded.

I feel differently about my podcast.

Look, I've been a part of several but there's one that was basically mine: Tales from the Booth. A scarce few episodes exist. Otherwise, it basically died.

The problem was that it became a catch-22, I suppose. In a life without a lot of free time it was a time drain to research, write, edit, record, repair, and put online. Other podcasts that I'm involved with don't take that kind of time. 

But I had an idea for at least a series of shows as a way to revive things. How about 61 episodes about the experience of each Renegades broadcast? It wouldn't (necessarily) involve needing guests (though I'm not against that). I could utilize the over 100 play-by-play calls I've edited from the season and I could work a little more ad-lib (which I received complaints about the original "Tales" being too scripted).

For the record, I'd like to get back to that scripted version also but I was hoping this concern might reignite me.

Much like the blog, it would be a bit of a passion project that I would hope people would latch on to but I also hold very low expectations.

So this is what I'm thinking. Each show wouldn't have to be very long and could feature a recap, a few in-booth thoughts (if any), and any calls, including my own criticism of said calls. 

Of course, I could also be dreaming and there could be zero interest in this anyway or somehow the copyright lords would have an issue with it. But I felt like this would also be a way for Gades fans (and fans of broadcasting) to stay warm during the offseason. Somehow I'd have to create the 61 episodes before next April when we're back at it.

This could all be some babbling. Or it could be very real.

Maybe there could be more episodes like this and, once I get the bug back, maybe I'd find the groove for the other historical stuff that I wanted to dive into. "Tales From the Booth" is a wide-ranging title (and concept) for that reason.

Either way, I'm at least thinking about it.

No comments: