Thursday, September 16, 2021

Hoppers Win

 


It was 10:10 p.m. and ball missed bat.

And that was it.

The Hudson Valley Renegades were eliminated from playoff contention. The Greensboro Grasshoppers are heading to the finals.

It took until home game number 57. The 117th games of the season.

Despite winning their division, the Gades will come up short in their pursuit of a spot in the championship series against Bowling Green.

Some will likely be mad at me but I can't please everyone. While I am an employee of the Renegades, most of you know that I strive to be fair and honest. Part of being fair means calling the final out of the game with energy and passion, even when it goes against the Renegades.

So when Matt Gorski homered to give Greensboro the lead, I called it with the understanding that I was also the "voice" (so to speak) of the Hoppers. I wanted their fan base to understand I respect them.

When they wrapped it up in the ninth, I tried to give them something to be proud of. At the same time, I wanted to be able to hold my head high.

I'd like to think that was accomplished.

Did it sting to watch them uncork champagne down the right field line? Sure. It meant there would be no championship call. It meant we weren't going to Kentucky.

It meant, for sure, the season will end on Sunday.

That's the gig. I tried to uphold everything I always believe in.

Congratulations, Greensboro. Here's how the final out sounded


No comments: