Friday, September 24, 2021

Be Fair

I was in the lower right window

 

SHELTON, CT -- It was definitive and I had to say it.

Someone will be mad because I did say it but the scoreboard said it for me.

Home 35 Visitor 14.

Greenwich was the visitor and they lost to the home Gaels of Shelton by 21.

I can't sugarcoat it. Oh, sure, they're high school athletes and that's definitely true.

But Shelton was the better team. The Gaels began going exclusively to the wildcat formation and ran for 342 yards and five touchdowns. The Cardinals turned the ball over three times. They were also hit with 10 penalties.

Big Red had no answer for what the Gaels were doing. The most telling stat was that Shelton converted 13 of 17 third downs while the Cards converted 2 of 10.

Those numbers tell a lot.

Look, Greenwich had leads of 7-0 and 14-7 and even kept the score at 14-14 at halftime when they picked off a pass in the end zone. But Shelton adjusted and ran away in the second half.

The Gaels and their fans celebrated as they should. The Cardinals have some things to figure out as they drop to 2-1 with a tough Fairfield Prep squad awaiting next week.

On the air, I had to say what I saw. There was no other way to call it and it's really not that tough to do so. You praise the other team in this spot and that's exactly what I did.

Incidentally, people here couldn't have been nicer. I've never called a game at Finn Stadium and everything about it was enjoyable. The A...C (Athletic Coordinator) made me feel welcomed, the PA guy was great. It was an enjoyable night as a visiting broadcaster.

As for next week? Well, I'll call it -- wherever I'm supposed to go. I really don't know where yet.

I'm back at Brunswick tomorrow at 4pm.

I have to drive home now.

But know that I called it as I saw it tonight.

Shelton was the better team.

That's how to be fair.

No comments: