Sunday, September 05, 2021

Already Gone from the Greenwich Town Party

 

Come into our tent? I take a selfie!


Sean and I covered our second Greenwich Town Party today, with our broadcast airing on WGCH.

I mean, the pay was great! (zero)

The food was great! (We went and bought burgers)

We had access to the artists! (Well...)

We had a premium site! (OK, maybe not)

Here's the inside scoop. Yes, it's a blast to be able to go to something that's a pretty exclusive ticket. This was my fourth time and I have yet to stay for any of the headline acts. In fact, the Eagles are probably playing as I'm typing.

Our view of the stage from the WGCH tent. What stage?
(Photo taken on Saturday when the weather was nicer)

Sad thing about the Eagles. I was a pretty big fan for years. I see them for what they've always been, including quite money-hungry, to tell you the truth. The obnoxious prices of concert tickets in modern times have a direct correlation back to their Hell Freezes Over tour back in 1994.

Which, yes, I went to.

Still, you can't but feel a little sour when you find out that the reason your little radio station has been dumped off to the far left side with no view of either stage near the hospitality tent that you felt like you weren't allowed access to was the Eagles.

Yes, that's a lousy sentence, so I'll simplify it. We were told -- straight out -- by organizers and support staff that we talked to (who were all awesome) that the Eagles would not allow us to work near the production tent as we always have.

Our position, 2021, with Sean behind the table

So, when you looked at the stage, the production tent was dead center. We were right there with them. This year, you had to look to the far left, up against a fence.

The production tent had to work a feed of the music to our out-of-the-way position along with getting us electrical so we could stay on the air.

Keep in mind, we weren't allowed to be on the air for either the Eagles or Zac Brown Band so what difference did it make? Did I mention I'm writing this post -- from home -- while the Eagles are playing?

Peaceful Easy Feeling my backside.

OK, so that and the rain would be my gripes, I suppose. And with the rain comes those who feel that they can just stand under your tent because it's there.

You know. Entitlement. In those circumstances, I grit my teeth and say nothing. That's recognizing that I represent a radio station as well as my own professional reputation. I'll leave that right there but you can see where that would loop back around to last week and the Mets.

On the other hand, we had a good spot to watch people and say hello to members of the incredible Preservation Hall Jazz Band as they walked by. We could just zone out and listen to music. We stayed (mostly) dry when the rain poured down. I could catch up with myriad friends (Sean was impressed but I promised him I'm literally nobody). We could walk away once a band started to go get food.

And we're there for free. OK, I lost money in buying food and using gas in my car.

And Bob Small, working in the studio of WGCH, said we sounded great.

So we both said we'd do it again in 2022.

It's a day for Greenwich -- no question -- but I'd like to believe we're adopted members of the community. I've worked there for nearly 25 years and Sean has been around for plenty of it. Hopefully, that counts for something.

As for the music we did hear and occasionally see when we walked over to take a look? They were all great, frankly. Our position served as an entrance to the Town Stage, which is where many of the acts performed. As such, they all walked by us. In fact, it looked like Sean and I were an information center (we counted 13 inquiries that had nothing to do with radio).

Some of the performers chatted with us. All nice, talented people.

As for the bigger acts, Preservation Jazz strolled right on by (as I mentioned). I never did see the very talented Caroline Jones near us and I'm pretty sure Zac Brown's hay bales were whisked in via two vans that went past our position.

The Eagles were probably on the biggest yacht I've ever seen, docked outside of the Delamar (rooms are available tomorrow night for $329). If it wasn't their yacht then whose was it?

I will tell you that Caroline Jones is the type of artist who gives me hope when it comes to country music in 2021. I heard not one reference to beer, jeans, Daisy Duke, or pick-up trucks. But some of the local bands sounded great also, whether doing originals or covers.

But it's a magnificent thing to watch. Just the process to get my credential was interesting. the brief glimpses that we had behind the scenes make these things worth it. Everyone was professional and a pleasure to work with.

So I guess Sean's right. If it all works out, why wouldn't we do it again in 2022?


No comments: