Monday, November 30, 2020

The last-minute

 


I thought I had the day off.

Sure, I had "Doubleheader" at 4 pm but it seemed like my night was open to chilling.

It's the danger of the freelance world, of course, especially in a pandemic.

Of course, it's that same pandemic that really created the videography job that I'm also doing now.

So on a day in which the weather was really bad (rain, wind, and potential power outages), I thought I'd just be around the house.

OK, I also went to the grocery store. How about me? I actually left the house and drove off my street. I last did that on Thursday morning!

I had things I wanted to do around the house but (as it always happens) I kept getting interrupted. Standard operating procedure.

I was also picking out music for a new podcast. As you know, I love music and have a decent ear for it (though I'm sure that's subjective). So because I have an idea of what I often want, I detest the process of finding theme music for a show or background music for a commercial.

Oh, I did it and it wasn't brain surgery this time, but it was just another part of the day.

Just before showtime, Dan Macom checked in. He's my boss in the depo videography world.

"Can you work tonight?" he asked.

What do I always say about adapting? Bang! I was in.

Then he texted me back.

"They canceled."

Blast.

Still, another text.

"A different one opened up!"

So I was set.

This is why I'm very tough to pin down. I have "The Clubhouse" on Wednesday, which is actually costing me a night of work because I'm already committed to it. In the next week or two -- so long as Uncle Ned Lamont doesn't screw it all up -- I'll be back to teaching at Connecticut School of Broadcasting (now the CSB Media Arts Center).

Plus I have my series of podcasts for Hunt Scanlon, "Talent Talks," that I'm really proud of.

Then there's the podcast that John Nash is starting (thus, nosing around for music) and I'm helping produce and host. 

All of this is making me realize that Mike Hirn and I have to restart "Tales From the Booth." I loved doing it but it got to be a lot of work.

We know there won't be any games before late January in Connecticut. New York doesn't look much more promising.

Sure, Local Live could step in with an out-of-state gig. Anything can happen. But it's probably going to be a while before I'm doing any events like that.

So I stay open to adjusting for Dan and Craig Jones and the wacky world of videography, just like I did tonight.

And tomorrow night.

In truth, I don't like last-minute things but as I've discussed before, you have to be ready to adapt. Or, at least as ready as possible.

Come 2021 with the Renegades, this could all change. We'll just keep an eye on it.

*****

I'm aware that the minor league story keeps shifting a bit. Four former New York-Penn League teams are joining the currently five-team MLB Draft League.

The Williamsport Crosscutters, Mahoning Valley Scrappers, State College Spikes, West Virginia Black Bears all depart the former NY-Penn league, joining the Trenton Thunder in the new league.

Things are starting to fall into place and we should soon know who is in the league with the Renegades for 2021. So far, we only know the Gades and Brooklyn Cyclones are in the new league.

Oh, sure, I can speculate, but so can you.

All questions will soon be answered.

At least I hope so.

No comments: