Sunday, November 15, 2020

Blowin' Away

(Picture found online via Google)

 I'm working from home tonight and we have intense wind in the area.

Losing power is -- to say the least -- not advantageous when there are people around the world .

There is a battery backup system on the computer I'm working with but time would still not entirely be on my side.

We're expected to go until around two tomorrow morning.

And the lights have already flashed, so buckle up.

The funny thing is we often go years sometimes without losing power, but of course, we were out during the big storm back in August.

So I'm throwing a post together as I sit here.

I'm doing it, in part, to take my mind off of the responsibility that I'm concerned about falling apart a foot to my left.

(UPDATE: The power flashed a few more times after I finished the post, with a crescendo that had us lose power just enough to take the internet down and bring it right back up. Unfortunately that impacted my job but not so bad that it ruined the night).

*****

This weekend was, sadly, a preview. A preview of what round two of quarantine life will be like.

Remember, I wasn't truly quarantined he first time around -- from March until roughly June. Because of responsibilities regarding my mother, I was out several days per week getting her to and from dialysis, appointments, and picking up food.

Now? Mom is gone, of course. So I won't be having dinner with her and watching Jeopardy. But I have to get food. I need to keep the cat fed.

There was a stretch where I didn't even see Sean and, while I understood (well, I actually didn't really understand it), it still pained me quite a bit. I suppose it's possible he would stay here this time but I can't predict anything.

The thing about Sean being here is, as soon as he leaves, I want him to come back. The house gets very quiet, save for Rascal and me, and in that case, I do the majority of the talking.

That probably comes as no surprise.

The conundrum of me is that I don't really mind being alone, but if there's someone I want to be with then that's a different story.

I didn't mind driving to Charleston, SC in 2012. In fact, I loved it. But if there's someone that is the right companion in the car, then I'd prefer that.

I love "Scullying" games and look forward to plenty of that in 2021. But the right partner -- Chris Erway and a few others -- makes me enjoy the game every bit as much, plus give me the safety valve of someone who can step in if I have to maneuver through a restroom break or fixing equipment.

Sadly, it feels like not a matter of "if" for the next shutdown in New York and Connecticut. Parties are already being limited to ten people. The likelihood of a turkey sandwich at home on Thanksgiving grows.

Obviously, I'm concerned about another quarantine from a few angles. I'm concerned mentally, sure, but I'm also concerned from the standpoint of surviving financially. I'm grateful for the new opportunity that I have in videography, but will that continue for sure in another shutdown?

The state of Connecticut -- bless their little hearts -- didn't see me as a gig worker (a freelance worker), which is a far-longer story than I wish to elaborate on. 

So you can see my concern, I suppose.

Anyway, just another night of babbling as I hear the wind rage outside.

Fingers crossed for survival.

*****

The Miami Dolphins should wear the uniforms they wore today -- flashing back to the late 60s-early 70s -- all the time. It should be law.


That's similar to what they wore today (those are the Fins in Super Bowl VII in 1973). Of course, their aqua unis are in the "GOAT" category.

Oh and the Steelers beat the Bengals today. Bad. You hate to see it.

No comments: