Monday, November 23, 2020

Monday monotony

 

Am I in Facebook jail or just on probation?


Amazing. Simply amazing.

Common sense, they say, isn't common.

I have a tradition of responding to all birthday wishes. I've caught up on the calls and texts. I still have to get to the ones on LinkedIn. I've answered the Instagram and Twitter ones.

And I tore into Facebook tonight.

Well, it seems Zuckerberg and company have a limit to the number of things you can comment on. This, astonishingly, includes saying "Thank you" to birthday greetings.

Check, please, right?

So I've tried. Those I couldn't recognize got a "like" from me.

It's funny, I've actually considered turning off comments on my birthday before and now I feel like I should have. Not because I don't appreciate the kindness -- I do -- but because of utter foolishness like this.

So now I feel rude for not finishing. So it goes.


*****

Oh, to follow up on yesterday, I'm listening to George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. Hare Krishna, but it's a great masterpiece of music.

Simply the group assembled around George was mesmerizing. George and Ringo Starr. Eric Clapton. Billy Preston. Peter Frampton was there. Phil Collins(!) plays congas on "Art of Dying." Bobby Whitlock and all of Badfinger and Ginger Baker and Gary Wright and Klaus Voorman are all there.

The result is an album (well, three records) that still hold up very well.

It's great for so many moods. Driving and thinking and more.

*****

Yesterday was truly wonderful. I watched Back to the Future with Sean, talked to a few people, watched more The Haunting of Hill House, had a funny Facetime call with Susan and special guest star Kathy and generally took it easy. I'm grateful. Truly.

*****

Today is Doctor Who Day. I realize that doesn't quite register with many but it does for me, mostly because it's become a bond between father and son. I've mentioned here before that I knew of Doctor Who but wasn't an aficionado at all until Sean got into it. I'm still no expert but I care about it.

Doctor Who debuted the day after John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963 on the BBC. Despite a break and definitely issues with the quality of writing and production values, it's still rolling after 57 years with its next episode being teased for Jan 1.

Sean knows far more than I do and I know that the current stories aren't his favorites at all. He loves Jodie Whittaker as the thirteenth Doctor but the writing has been so-so at best. So I don't like seeing his interest wane in it but I guess phases and tastes change.

In any event, happy anniversary to the peace-loving, jelly-baby eating, bow tie wearing (bow ties are cool) time lord from Gallifrey. This is what that first episode looked like.

No comments: