Saturday, November 14, 2020

Patiently Impatient




Red Barber kept an hourglass with him in the booth. When the sand ran out, he said the score. Then he turned it over.

That's why there's a picture of an hourglass. Be patient, I tell myself.

I often deride myself for lacking patience.

Which I do lack.

And, yet, I don't.

Wait for this. Wait for that. Just keep waiting. Good things come to those who wait, right?

So I bide my time and, yet, I want what I want. I'm not getting any younger, of course.

You're all aware of the news from the JJ Cooper, Executive Editor for Baseball America. You know, the news about the Renegades becoming an affiliate of the Yankees.

I know many of you are aware because you've texted me. You've called me. You've emailed me. You're excited for me.

There have also been critics and pessimists. I've seen and heard it all.

Even when I don't want to talk about it, I talk about it. After being pushed on the topic, I said it wasn't a big deal. I got told -- emphatically -- otherwise.

"**** yeah it's a big deal," I was told. "You're just afraid to get excited about it."

Correctamundo!


Beyond that, I still know only what I read.

Still, I've been contacted by a few other broadcasters in the Yankees chain wanting to welcome me to the family. Thanks to both Joe Vasile at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre and Marc Schwartz at Somerset for reaching out. Marc is moving with the Somerset Patriots from the Atlantic League to Double-A as a Yankees affiliate. I've also connected with Nick Flammia at Tampa.

There have been others whom I've never met who are connecting with me because of this news.

And yet? I'm still being cautious.

That's what my life has taught me. Don't jump the gun. No cart before the horse. 

There's also a quote from Pulp Fiction that I love but this is a family blog.

Remember, I did my first game with the Gades in 2001. That's before my son was born. 

So, when I tell you I don't know much, I'm telling you the truth. Anything that I've picked up has mostly come from things I've seen online. From what I know, the team name is not changing (and why should it?). The staff isn't supposed to be changing as well.

So...wait, Rob...doesn't that mean you.

Hold on. Those are full-timers. The team knows I'm sitting here in a like a caged animal waiting to do something for them. Anything can happen between now and first pitch and I have nothing completely official. I know what's desired. I don't have confirmation.

So while it's exciting to think about the Yankees broadcasting lineage that starts with Arch McDonald in 1939 to Mel Allen, Red Barber, Phil Rizzuto, Frank Messer, Bill White, to Bobby---freaking---Murcer to John Sterling, Suzyn Waldman, and Michael Kay (and was nearly Vin Scully in 1965), I just can't really break out the bubbly yet.

Sure, I'm patient. I'm also impatient. A year ago, I yearned for any news. What's the schedule? What road games can I do? Who's the manager? Can I set up my booth? Can I select who calls any games with me*? Can I establish a format and music for the broadcasts? 

Remember, just a few days before we all went indoors, I visited Dutchess Stadium quietly so I could gaze into the booth. Then I visited a few times, including calling a tournament where I had a young broadcaster join me whom I'd never met.

*Don't worry, Chris Erway and others are still waiting to come join me in 2021.

These, basically, are the things that you've all come to know and...love?...about me.

Now all of that includes things like who the opponents will be* and what's my role and lots of other stuff that will sort themselves out.

* Like all of the other rumors, I've heard perhaps Lowell and maybe Aberdeen will join us. Can I say us? Anyway, I know Brooklyn is in the league because the Mets announced that.

It will take time.

They have a lot going on at Dutchess Stadium. They have a lot to figure out. They don't need an impatient play-by-play announcer (who can do a lot of other stuff) nagging them.


I allowed myself a toast during the week with a friend who felt I should at least acknowledge the news.

"To being a Yankees broadcaster. Just allow yourself to enjoy it for a moment."

Or, more precisely, to being a broadcaster in the Yankees system. (This, by the way, does not set one on a path to The Bronx. It doesn't really work like that.)

Beyond that? Patience, young Scully.

This whole process will be interesting, and I feel for the teams that are going through such upheaval. I feel for the former Staten Island Yankees and Trenton Thunder. I hope bright days are ahead for them and I know they've lashed out at how things transpired. I can't control any of that. There will be a lot more.

Things are changing. Only in time will we know if it's for the better overall. Right now, it's not so bad for me.

But I'll continue wait for that news and when I have a go-ahead to tell you something, I will.

I wait to see my name on the team website and to see Broadcaster411 updated (I'm still listed as being the Tampa Bay Rays' affiliates).

And I'll continue to hope to call games in stadiums near and far as the "voice" of the Hudson Valley Renegades.

High A affiliate of the New York Yankees.

A half-hour from my house.

A boyhood dream achieved.

Maybe.




No comments: