Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Sometimes The News is Hard to Buy

Me with my nieces, 1985. The T-shirt and the poster over my shoulder says it all
I have to do it.

I need to just log on, pay for it, and be done with it.

I have the money. That's not an issue at all.

This one is emotional for me.

I haven't bought the new -- and, most likely, last -- Huey Lewis and the News album. It can be pre-ordered now and comes out on Feb 14.

There have been many great pieces on TV and in print to promote the upcoming album, called Weather.

Get it? The News? Sports? Weather?

Sadly, we'll never see Traffic, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm pleased that the band has received the kind of attention they're getting, as I've long-lamented that they were often disrespected.

Look at so-called "top albums of the 80s" and you'll never see Sports or Fore! You're sure as heck never going to see any love for Picture This, Small World or the self-titled album that was "a little too new wave" (American Psycho, of course).

They were banned to the hell of "adult contemporary radio," where a brash young DJ played them generally once per shift on Majic 105 in 1990-1991. But rock radio, where they first hit? Nope. Once AC got their hands on the boys, that was over.

True story. When I did my first air shift -- Sept 2, 1990 -- I played "The Heart of Rock and Roll" in the first hour to calm my nerves down. All was right after that.

They weren't prolific writers, certainly non enough for a fairly strong fan base that hungered for more. After Hard at Play brought them into the 90s, they did a fantastic cover album called Four Chords and Several Years Ago. Then nothing until Plan B in 2001. Then an album of soul covers -- Soulsville -- in 2010.

Now comes Weather. The first album (but only seven tracks) of original songs in almost 19 years.

And I feel that, by purchasing it, I'm saying goodbye.

Yes, I know, I've heard you all. "You'll always have the music," you say. That, friends, doesn't get to the heart of the matter (Don Henley, 1989).

I have the music. On cassette. On CD. On vinyl. On my computer. In multiple versions within each format. I've got it. I treasure it. If I break my collection down (and I've seriously thought about it), my Huey Lewis stuff will remain (The Beatles also, naturally).

But this is saying goodbye to part of my life. Of knowing I'll never see them live again. Of knowing there's nothing new that will come out. Of almost feeling like my friends are done.

The News were more than just Huey. Johnny Colla, Sean Hopper, and Bill Gibson, along with departed members Chris Hayes and Mario Cipollina, started the band as Huey Lewis and the American Express in 1979 at a club called Uncle Charlies in Corte Madera, CA (which appeared in "The Power of Love" video). The band saw ups and downs, but were so likable that even their Behind the Music special was bland because there was no drama. They were just a classic bar band that combined old concepts (50s and 60s rock) with (then) newer technology.

And, by the way, I liked some of their "New Wave" stuff, regardless of what Patrick Bateman said.

They remained a solid, steady touring band. It didn't matter if it was Madison Square Garden, the Westbury Music Fair, the Charles Ives Center or Eisenhower Park (the Hary Chapin Theater). The venue was irrelevant. Ask literally anyone and they'll tell you that "HLN" always put on a great show every night. Plus they were just good guys.

Then came early 2018 and the discovery of Huey's Meniere’s disease. The band stopped touring immediately and haven't come back.

Huey keeps trying. He and the band (John Pierce replaced Cipollina on base while Stef Burns and James Harrah have both stepped in for Hayes on guitar*) booked some rehearsal time but things just didn't pan out. This story from Rolling Stone includes that heartbreaking nugget.

* Hayes is a criminally underrated guitarist. Playing in a jazz style, he found the perfect mix for rock and his solos were always tremendous. But he's so unassuming and never looked for the limelight. Even in a recent interview, he described himself as just a dad. But the guy is a tremendous guitarist. In fact, all of the News are outstanding musicians.

I realize Huey Lewis isn't dying. I get that he'll be active, including pushing for the possible Broadway debut of a jukebox musical featuring their hits (I have to admit I'm not a big fan of this).

Huey is doing press and that's great. He has an upcoming talk at the 92nd St Y in NYC and tickets are only $35 but I can't bring myself to 1) Buy tickets and 2) Get anyone to go with me.

But the band is likely done. I hope they still get together. I won't stop hoping.

But I also deal in reality.

It's dumb. These aren't The Beatles or whomever you're attached to. This isn't a Hall of Fame act, and they don't need to be.

They're (selfishly) my band. The band that -- to this day -- people identify me with.

And I'm struggling to say goodbye to a band that I've loved for over 35 years.

I'm walking on a thin line. My heart and soul are struggling.

I just have to hit checkout on the website.

I can't bring myself to do it.

No comments: