Sunday, February 09, 2020

A Few Sunday Musings

I'm thinking maybe focus on the country, but OK. I'll bite.


Let's get this out of the way now: Tom Hanks has been my favorite actor for years. I've absorbed most of it, from He Knows You're Alone to Splash to Big to Philadelphia right on through the current day.

He's up for an Academy Award tonight and has virtually no chance to grab his long-deserved third statue.

Brad Pitt (blech) will get it.

I will be mad.

*****
So Mr. 45 thinks Pete Rose should be reinstated in baseball and voted into the Hall of Fame.

There is a problem with this. Pete shouldn't work in baseball -- literally ever again. As an ambassador? Sure. On TV? Yes. But in any field capacity? Good lord, no. MLB would need to stipulate that.

A veterans committee would have to review his qualifications for the Hall of Fame. On just baseball talent and numbers alone, he's an automatic Hall of Famer.

On character? Again...good lord, no.

It's a twisted narrative with Pete. He was defiant in saying he did nothing wrong yet took the lifetime suspension from baseball. There's a lot of unsavory stuff but we all know there are plenty of bad guys or people who did bad things in the Hall of Fame.

But, just based on the temperature of most fans, there's a large number of people who want to see him in the Hall. That matters.

I've said for some time that you put Pete in the Hall of Fame with zero fanfare. Literally, put the plaque up. No ceremony. No speech. But Shoeless Joe Jackson MUST also go in. That is not an option.

Beyond that, their plaques MUST say that they were banned from baseball for gambling.

Otherwise, wait until Pete dies and do it then, but I stand by what to put on the plaque.

Don't tell me he has memorabilia in the Hall. That doesn't accurately tell the story and is hypocritical.

There's a way to do it and please the people who are supposed to matter: the fans.

*****
The new XFL started this weekend.

I watched very little, save for a chunk of the just-completed St. Louis/Dallas game.

Overall it wouldn't be fair to judge it, though I'm intrigued by the kickoff rules.

Can I say I've been underwhelmed by the broadcasting? Too many voices talking over each other.

Beyond that, there's still hockey and basketball going on. And auto racing. Sure.

(Pitchers and catchers report this week, but I'm banned from being excited about that)

*****
And I was right. Brad Pitt. Damn.

But he was classy, right? Sure.

*****
(I'm back) Oh, I almost forgot! I'm calling a middle school basketball championship game. When it was suggested to me, it was presented as something that I probably wouldn't be interested in.

Nah. I love calling games. ALL games, and I'm honored that these athletes would even care to have my voice attached to their game.

So, buckle up Tomlinson Middle School and Hillcrest Middle School. I'm going to bring you my best with Jeff Alterman tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. on TEN (Trumbull Eagles Network). The game will also be carried on Robcasting.

No comments: