Thursday, February 13, 2020

Live from CSB!



Greetings from the podium of the Connecticut School of Broadcasting in Stratford, CT.

This place produced -- sorry, folks -- me.

And I've been at for 30 years. I graduated from here this very month in 1990.

They were kind enough to allow me to do Doubleheader from here today.

Which allowed me rant.

And rave.

About the Houston Astros.

Anyone looking to get into public relations, go watch that press conference and do -- literally -- the exact opposite.

This presser today has the potential to be among the most disastrous ever.

Owner Jim Crane told the media that the Astros' cheating had no impact "on the game." Then, 55 seconds later, he said it did. When asked about it, he denied it.

The apologies were more hollow than a bat filled with rubber balls.

Just awful.

It also led me to talk about the Pete Rose Hall of Fame thing, and here is that thing.

And allow me to crystal clear about it.

I'm not advocating for Pete to make the Hall of Fame tonight, tomorrow, or even in 2020.

I'm not advocating him to be recognized as a great player before the end of his life.

But I am saying you don't truly tell the story of the game without him receiving that recognition one day.

Don't tell me the numbers are there.

Don't tell me I can see his bat or whatever.

Leave him out. Put him in.

But recognize it's not authentic. Especially when you -- the Hall of Fame -- have the power to control the message.

And, to be further clear, Pete isn't some tragic figure. He's his own worst enemy.

Have I made myself clear? I truly doubt it. In fact, I guarantee I haven't.

It's also World Radio Day, and who knows where or what I'd be without this crazy business that has given and taken so much.

But, I still love it. I still love talking into a microphone and creating something.

Radio, at its most authentic, still goes out via an air signal, such as 1490 AM and 105.5 FM.

But radio -- audio -- in 2020 exists in myriad forms.

May it live on in perpetuity.

A quick note of acknowledgement to fellow Mahopac grad Dean Reynolds, who died earlier this week. I know he was a good man, dad, son, etc. I know we knew each other, but not well. I know a good man was taken far too young. My condolences.

No comments: