Monday, February 17, 2020

No Baseball Tonight

Airing Bull Durham -- again -- was more important than the commissioner's press conference on MLB Network
There are 122 days left until June 18.

That's the day when the Hudson Valley Reneagades play game number one of the 2020 season, and I plan on being in Aberdeen, MD for it.

I actually had a dream in which it went right on by and I missed it.

I'm being patient. I'm still thinking about the broadcast format, waiting for game times, formally picking out which road games I'd like to go to, and who will be on games with me.

I also got asked for my shirt size. That actually made me quite happy. I'm dying to get acquainted with the Gades family, beyond those I already know.

I can't wait to just stand in the booth and set it up.

But, tonight, I don't want to talk about baseball.

There are those -- not saying I'm one -- who think the Astros scandal is worse than the Black Sox. Worse than Pete Rose. Worse than steroids.

Is it? I'm not sure about that. Time will determine that.

But, for me, the commissioner isn't helping things. Neither are the Astros. And, if I'm the Red Sox, I say literally nothing.

Except J.D. Martinez decided he'd throw a little gas on the fire and, for my money, should pipe down.

"I think if you watch the players, watch their faces when they have to deal with this issue publicly, they have paid a price," Martinez said.

Good god, man. Find a clue. It's clear Carlos Correa only thinks being questioned is the "price" he has paid, given that he'll otherwise keep the 2017 World Series share (and the 2019 share for losing) as well as the ring, plus he thinks they won "fair and square."

Shhhhhhhhhh.

And the commissioner? For the love of Ford Frick! Rob Manfred called the trophy -- the COMMISSIONER'S TROPHY -- a "piece of metal?"

And he doubled down on, literally, EVERYTHING.

But, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Baseball isn't having its best of times. We need games. Real games.

Give me Brunswick. Greenwich. Fairfield American. The Gades. Mahopac. Babe Ruth League.

Give. Me. Something.

So, tonight, I'd like to think about other things.

Except now the sports world is talking now about NASCAR driver Ryan Newman after a bad crash at Daytona at the end of the race this evening.

A race that, frankly, I had no idea was impacted with rain and finished today.

Once everyone (including me) is done bloviating, I'll come back tomorrow.

No comments: