Saturday, April 06, 2019

The Blog Thing


"You're a broadcaster? Oh, that's cool.

"You write also? Where do you write?"

"I write a blog."

"Oh. That's nice."

This wasn't a real conversation, but it could easily happen. Unless you're, say, Jeff Pearlman (or a writer of equal regard and respect) the blogger is often seen as a bit of an outcast.

We know the stereotypes about mom's basement and so on. We don't have the training and journalistic chops, etc.

There are blog writers who have earned a level of acceptance, but it's still easier said than done.

Look, I get it. I work in an industry where anyone with some money (or someone willing to fund them) can get equipment and a website and start broadcasting games.

You know, thus taking work (and food) from me.

By the same token, anyone can try to write, and many have.

I started this nearly 13 years ago. I refused to do it unless I could do it right. I'd like to believe I've earned some respect. Yet there's still that negative connotation about blogs.

But I'll tell you right (or "write") now. Find a print journalist. Ask them -- off the record -- what they think of a blogger. Heck, you can use me as an example.

Wait. Don't do that.

There might be a rolled eye.

Most of the time, I don't call this "the blog." I make up names for it. Out of shame? I guess so. Most likely just because I'm ... er ... me.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I realize there are those who look down on blogs.

Sometimes that's a shame.

No comments: