Monday, April 08, 2019

On Basketball Night, Let's Talk Hockey?

NHL.com
The National Championship is going on between Texas Tech and Virginia as I begin writing tonight.

Baylor knocked off Notre Dame for the women's title last night in an enjoyable game.

There is sports news aplenty, including the Yankees losing to the Astros a few minutes ago.

In high school sports, there's been plenty of chatter about the Ridgefield baseball field fire, and the story has reached the national level, as Sports Illustrated and others are writing about it.

I'll hit on all of that and more tomorrow on Doubleheader at 3 p.m.

How do I know? I recorded the show tonight.

Thus you won't hear me talk about the National Championship unless I record another segment tomorrow morning or late tonight. Both scenarios are doubtful.

Mick suggested I write about the soon-to-begin NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which, fine. I'm not sure that's a strong suit for me, but he's excited about his New York Islanders, so OK.

My concern for the Islanders in their opening round meeting with the Pittsburgh Penguins is...well...they're the Pittsburgh Penguins. Yet the Islanders have a Vezina Trophy finalist in Robin Lehner. I'll take the Islanders.

They'll meet the Washington Capitals in the second round, as I think the Carolina Hurricanes -- a "darling" team due to their postgame on-ice celebrations -- won't be able to get past the defending Stanley Cup champions.

On the other side of the Easter Conference bracket, I love Cam Atkinson (Greenwich's own), who set the Blue Jackets' record for goals in a season, but the Tampa Bay Lightning have been otherworldly. It's their playoffs.

It would have been fun to see the Toronto Maple Leafs make a run, given how long they've gone without a Cup, and see the John Tavares hatred play out. But, no. The Boston Bruins will finish them off.

That will setup Bruins/Lightning. Nope. Lightning. As for the Islanders and Capitals, the magic runs out and the conference final will be the Lightning and Captials. I know President's Trophy winners often falter in the playoffs, but this team feels different. The Lightning leave the East as the conference champions.

On the Western side, here comes Vegas again. They'll beat the Sharks in the first round to meet Calgary, who will knock off Calgary. I'll take a stab at the Dallas Stars as a darkhorse, beating Nashville. Lastly, the Jets will beat the Blues.

Then it will be Vegas over Calgary and Dallas will sneak by Winnipeg.

Vegas will go to their second straight Stanley Cup Final.

Again, President Cup winners don't win the Stanley Cup, but I've felt the Lightning have been unbeatable. It's not exciting, but I'll go with the Tampa Bay Lightning to raise Lord Stanley's Cup.

Or I could be wrong about all of it.

Drop the puck.

1 comment:

DavidT said...

Going to game Wednesday...the old Barn will be ROCKIN' LET'S GO ISLANDERS!!