Saturday, April 20, 2019

4/20


It's April 20th.

4/20.

Four-twenty.

It apparently began because five high school students in San Rafael, CA met at a statue to smoke pot at 4:20 p.m. and the term spread via High Times magazine (that's the short version of the story).

It then grew into being a counterculture celebration on April 20.

So enjoy, I guess if that's your thing.

It is not mine and has never been.

It may -- or may not -- come as a surprise, but I've never tried it. As in, never.

Not as in the "I never inhaled" bull that now-innocent-looking former President William Jefferson Clinton once said*. Never. Touched. It.

* The Clinton years are just a wee-ol' Camelot now, no?

I'm not here to condemn, though if it's breaking the law in your municipality, well, that's for you to debate with your personal Jesus or whatever.

Obviously, if you hang out in the right world, you get the opportunity to try certain things. I can assure you I've never tried any of it.

I've been offered it (at Yankee Stadium, during a World Series game) and declined.

I had a point, maybe around 30 or so, where I said that maybe I should try it, and a friend immediately shot that down.

"No," he said. "I'm proud of you for never doing it. Stay that way and don't start."

I took the words to heart, and I've had others say it to me as well.

I realize I'm an anomaly in myriad ways. I wasn't trying to figure out how to drink and party in my teens. I'd actually go to a party and tell my parents. They'd tell me to use good judgment and be careful.

Then I'd come home, tell them what happened, and feel good that I didn't let them down.

I get it. I know I come off like a geek or whatever unkind term you want to use. Yet I'm OK with it.

I realize most people in my life have tried it (and inhaled). I also do know a few who have never tried it. Keep in mind I'm also a serious non-smoker.

I also -- frankly -- prefer to not have it in my life. But there are other things that I feel that way about.

I'm no angel. I assure you that.

Anyway, you do you and enjoy.

No comments: