Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Maybe Vin Would Be Proud


It was Nov. 12, 1949, and Vin Scully was cold, but nobody knew it.

Red Barber needed a broadcaster at Fenway Park for a college football game between Maryland and Boston University.

There were over 40,000 people on hand as the Terrapins beat BU, 14-13.

Scully called it, relaying information to Red Barber on CBS as part of the College Football Roundup.

But there was something Barber didn't know. Scully foolishly left his jacket at his hotel, thinking that he was going to sit in a comfortable booth.

That didn't happen. Vin stood on the roof and froze but he never said a word.

A day later, Barber received a call from an embarrassed staffer apologizing for not giving Scully the proper facilities. As the story goes, Barber was so impressed that he hired Scully to join him in Brooklyn Dodgers' booth beginning in 1950.

I wish I could say I've always been that good. As part of what I do, I've often explained the location of the booth/setup. Not to complain, but it's part of telling stories. Listeners have told me that they always appreciated that piece of info.

Today, I withheld.

I taught at Connecticut School of Broadcasting before driving down to Greenwich for baseball between King and Brunswick. As I was quite early, I sat in my car and listened to David Tennant's fascinating podcast.

Maybe a quarter of a mile ahead, I noticed traffic beginning to back up. Thinking it might be something, I kept an eye on it. When I got out of the car, I noticed smoke rising. Something was up.


Two small buses had collided. Ten people (at the last report) had been taken to the hospital. King Street -- where the Brunswick baseball field is located -- was closed. I walked down to it, stayed five minutes, and left.

A few minutes later, while transporting equipment and beginning to set up for the broadcast, I slipped on the small hill that leads to the field.

I know I heard something snap or even crack.

I stayed there, on the wet, dirty ground, for a few minutes before getting back up. Nobody had seen me, and I could still walk.

I made my way to the two dugouts, some 300 feet away. Talked to the coaches. Got the lineups. Made my way back.

But with a bad limp.

I called the game and stood for over two hours. And it rained. Hard.

We were done in the fifth inning, to save the equipment, as we were getting soaked. They ultimately played six innings and Brunswick won.

We packed up, I got Joe Early back to his car (which was parked in a lot down the road due to the detour), and dove home.

I feel sort of dumb telling you the story now, as I'm home and resting.

But I never said a word on the air.

What would Vin do (#WWVD)? He wouldn't have said a word.

So, neither did I.

*****
Speaking of college sports, I'm heading back to Yale this Saturday for a doubleheader with Columbia. The first game starts at 11:30 a.m. My friend Eric Scholl will be the public address announcer.

Oh, and CSB wants me to put a play-by-play workship together.

More baseball! Less...whatever.

No comments: