Sunday, September 09, 2012

The 2012 Greenwich Cardinals on WGCH

Rob Adams and Chris Erway, 2010
We are just under a week away from kickoff of the 2012 high school football season in Connecticut.  That means it is time for Greenwich Carrdinals Football!

Once again, WGCH will be the home of Cardinals football, as it has been for as long as I can remember (there are those that say it dates back to the birth of the station in September, 1964, but I have no proof of that).  Bill Daughtry, Mark Yusko, Pete Gersec, and former Jet Skip Lane are among the names that brought the sounds of the Cardinals to your radio.

Next Friday, I will begin my 13th year as the radio voice of Greenwich football.  Joining me as the lead analyst will be Chris Erway.  CJ joined the station as an intern in 2006, handling the morning sports reports on the NewsCenter with Tony Savino.  That is where I first met him, when I subbed for Tony.  He rejoined WGCH in 2009 and begins his fourth season on Greenwich football, and first as the lead analyst.  He replaces Sean Kilkelly, who is moving back to the studio.

Also in the booth will be Ryan DeMaria.  The Deemer is back for his second year, and first full year as the statistician and second analyst.  Ryan joined WGCH in 2009, when he worked with me on our national version of "The Press Box", which was airing on the Lifestyle Talk Radio Network.  Ryan will miss the opening broadcast due to a conflict (hey, he's going to see UConn at Randy Edsall and Maryland.  Can't blame him for that, I guess).  In week two, Ryan will join me in the lead chair as Greenwich travels to Bridgeport to play Bassick on Friday, September 21st at 4:30.  Sadly, that is a conflict for many on our team.

Working the sidelines is Christopher Kaelin.  A fellow Connecticut School of Broadcasting guy, "Kato" is in his fourth year with us, having joined WGCH in 2009.  Kato also handles interviews throughout the broadcast, and is famous for having thrown me under the bus while I was trying to take a bite of pizza in 2010.  He has never let me forget it.

As I've already mentioned, our Studio Host will be Sean Kilkelly.  My first call when I became Sports Director in 2000 was to Sean, asking him to join me on Cardinals football.  Steady and authoritative, Sean has been both the lead analyst and the Studio Host, and his presence at the controls is welcomed.  Sean will bring his "Halftime Extravaganza" along for each broadcast.
Rob Adams, Chris Kaelin, and Ryan DeMaria - at Danbury, 2011 (Paul Silverfarb photo)
Paul Silverfarb, our friend and the Sports Editor of the Greenwich Post, has offered his services to our broadcasts, and I'm expecting to use Paul as a reporter occasionally.  There may still be a few other things up my sleeve.

Each broadcast will begin with our pregame coverage - a minimum of 10 minutes or more (if Kato can get us some interviews).  We will also have postgame interviews and analysis.

It's a full show, and I think it's among the best in the business.  I'm proud as always, and a little nervous, but revved up for our first broadcast next Friday night!  The butterflies will be present right up until the theme plays to open the broadcast.  Then I'll open my mouth, let the words flow, and it will be business as usual.

No comments: