Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

A self-portrait, June 18, 2011
Just a quick Happy Father's Day to one and all.  I think of the many dads who deserve their special moment.  I think of my friend Tim Parry, who is enjoying his first father's day, and at the same time, dealing with the emotions of loss in and around his family.  I hope he finds the time and strength to be positive.

I of course think of my own dad, and dads lost.

Still, I have a son of my own and as you can see from that picture above, we're pretty fond of each other.  I took that at the Carmel Sports Association picnic on Saturday.

I'm not Father of the Year.  I never will be.  I don't intend to be.  That's a fairly lame concept anyway.  Some question my parenting style.  Bully for them.  I'm not going to sit here (yes, I'm sitting) and defend myself.  No need.  Sean and I have a great relationship, and I think he is an amazing kid.
One of these days Sean and I will spend Father's Day on the golf course, or he'll shock me by wanting to have a catch (it's just not his thing).  It doesn't matter.  We'll spend this day together.  Is it arbitrary?  Sure, but that's a "Hallmark Holiday" for you.

Happy Father's Day to all of you.

No comments: