Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Adele Rocks


Sometimes, I catch a trend when it starts.  Sometimes I'm late to the party.

I dismissed Adele and her latest effort 21 as being pop drivel.  Then Carrie asked me to download it (she's got a better finger on that pulse than I do).

One word.  I use it often.

Wow.

Adele is anything but drivel.  It's Amy Winehouse - but not as 60's cocktail-chic, and definitely without the wackiness of Winehouse herself.  The songs has a sense of blues cool - but more R&B, as if the Four Tops and Temptations and waiting in the background - and listening intently.

She took The Cure's "Lovesong" and turned into a completely different song.  It's a cover, of course, but trust me - if you haven't heard it, you'll be stunned.  I think in a good way.

She's hot enough that the occasional ROCK station is playing her, and not just the CHR (Contemporary Hit Radio) stations.

Total credit goes to Carrie for this one.  She turned me on to something tremendous.  The sad thing, of course, is that my beloved radio industry (and TV, with "Glee" and "American Idol" and such) will now play her to overkill, if it hasn't already.

So enjoy it while she is still fresh and amazing.

No comments: