Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Happy Birthday, Steven Bawol

Steven Bawol played for the Greenwich Cardinals football team and graduated from GHS in 2005. One night, in late 2007, Steven died in a one-car crash in Greenwich (thanks, Greenwich Post).

By all accounts, he was a great kid. Though I called his games with the Cardinals, I can't tell you I knew Steven (or Steve, as I called him). With such a large roster, it's difficult to know every player. What I can tell you is that I know his friends, specifically Nick Angotto. Over the past few years, I've watched his brother Colin play, and I got to know his parents (Mark and Susy) very well. There's also a third Bawol boy, Matthew.

I know, I know. Bad Rob! You're a reporter, a journalist for heaven's sake! Edward R. Murrow wants to see you immediately! How DARE you get friendly with the family?

Please.

Not only did I get to know his family, I regularly exchange thoughts with Susy on Facebook. So there.

Still we're getting off track here. The point is that Susy popped a message on Facebook last night, asking people to remember Steven on his birthday. If I've done my math right, Steve would have been 22 today.

I honored Susy's wish, and have taken it a step farther with this post. To close, I'm adding a video, in memory of Steve. A picture of my great friend Nick Angotto posing with his great friend shows up around the 1:04 mark.

I don't understand life and those in charge. Just sayin'.

I wish the Bawol family great strength on this day. The same strength that I've seen them demonstrate every day that I've known them since Steve died.

No comments: