Monday, October 20, 2008

The Bill Gonillo Five (and a Return of the FCIAC Five)

First, my Bill Gonillo Five vote will be like this:

1) New Canaan (6-0, last week: 1) - Beat St. Joseph 28-7.
2) Bunnell (6-0, 2) - Beat Notre Dame-Fairfield 38-20.
3) Darien (6-0, 3) - Beat Wilton 41-14.
4) Brookfield (5-0, 4) - Beat Straford 49-13.
5) Masuk (5-1, 6)- Beat Bethel 48-7.
6) Ridgefield (4-2, NR) - Beat Ludlowe 35-0. The biggest reason I've put them here over Staples and Greenwich is because they beat Staples and Greenwich.

Dropped out: Bethel

Now, my own FCIAC Five:

1) New Canaan (6-0)
2) Darien (6-0)
3) Ridgefield (4-2)
4) Staples (5-1)
5) Greenwich (4-2)

Number five would have been St. Joe's spot but the way they lost to New Canaan made me hesitate. Wilton, Trinity Catholic, and Westhill are the other 4-2 teams. For now, I'll take Greenwich, though they didn't bowl me over this past Saturday against Trumbull.

Oh, a note about this past Saturday at Greenwich. Mr. Sean Adams was in attendance for the Homecoming game and was treated like a king, beginning with a gift from Greenwich head coach Rich Albonizio (I'm not sure I'm allowed to divulge the gift, but let's say it was unique and special). Richie and Nancy Riscica, along with Dana DeSimone, allowed Sean to sit with them while Daddy was working, and put up with his countless trips to the port-a-potty (a pure sign of boredom). TJ Ostruzka, Wayne Gioffre, and other members of the Cardinals coaching staff were equally kind to him. My broadcast partners were tolerant (including when he'd come to Daddy while he was trying to call the game). George Chelwick (Cardinal videographer for nearly 40 years) pumped him up with chocolate. Tammy Kelly took him to get brownies. Lastly, Julia and Jenna DeVico talked to him, and Julia played catch with him. Brian Kennedy almost took him for a ride on his golf cart (maybe next time). I'm missing people, but it further proves the wonderful kindness of everyone at Greenwich High School, and why they've come to be part of my family.

No comments: