Tuesday, January 24, 2023

It Begins With Cereal

I-95 streaks by the kitchen window

 

Tuesday morning, maybe around 8 a.m., I was sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast.

A visit with Snap! Crackle! and Pop! was in order after another delightful night of some sleep.

The Cat couldn't even be blamed. It's just my brain and my body.

I noticed a little kerfuffle had just happened on Interstate 95. I could see someone standing at the passenger side door of a car and I could also see traffic was slowing down on the southbound lanes.

As it appeared minor and too far from my kitchen window*, I went about my business. I grabbed my South of the Border mug filled with some coffee and headed back to sit in bed and read for a few minutes.

No, seriously, even if I wanted to help, I have to cross Metro-North and Amtrak railroad tracks before getting anywhere near a major expressway. So I'll leave it to the professionals.

The cat followed me as I walked out of the kitchen.

Despite the coffee, I had visions of possibly trying to grab a few minutes of sleep again.

Then the phone rang.

Could I work? I was needed on a deposition and the login time had passed already. The videographer scheduled to work had an emergency.

So I logged in and then pulled myself together. 

As I did, I noticed the police were out at the site on 95 and a tow truck was there. 

That's when I pieced it together.

The videographer with the emergency was one of the cars involved in the accident on 95.

Now, I obviously wouldn't be writing about this so flippantly if she wasn't OK but I'm told she is fine. The car, I hear, is a different story.

In fact, I texted with her a short while ago and she is, overall, fine. Her humor -- always a strength -- was in great form. So I'm comfortable writing about this.

But the world is mighty small.

*****

Also in the news today is the announcement -- though still not finalized -- of a new broadcaster heading to the New York Mets radio booth.

Keith Raad is expected to become the new number two, replacing Wayne Randazzo, to join lead broadcaster Howie Rose on the Amazin's broadcast.

Keith, you might recall, has appeared on this blog before since he was the "voice" of the Brooklyn Cyclones. You know, as in the High-A affiliate of the Metropolitans and the closest rival to the Hudson Valley Renegades.

It's a phenomenal opportunity for a phenomenal guy. He was one of the first league broadcasters I met with the Gades in 2021. We also ran into each other when the Cyclones came to Dutchess Stadium. Even last year, when serving in the PA announcer capacity (duties I'll likely continue in 2023), he'd find me and we'd catch up. 

I'm thrilled for him.

I'll wait to say more once everything is official.

*****

Oh, that job I wound up on? Well it was being a doozy and I just finished a short time ago (8:30 p.m. as I'm typing). So I see it as a good long day of work.

That means no "Doubleheader" so we'll dive in tomorrow at 4 p.m. to catch up on the NFL and Hall of Fame vote.

No comments: